[comp.sys.mac] nuVista

billr@houxj.UUCP (UNIX Group) (01/18/88)

Without going into detail (I don't have the press release materials)

Truevision - formerly AT&T EPICenter has announced a version of the
Vista board for the MAC II.
The only macII video board you'll ever need/want.

4mb of image memory,TI co-processor,fast multi-frame image capture,
many display modes (around 1k by 1k by 32 bit color plus many others).

So this baby will give you what you really wanted all along...
live/captured/animated full color video in a mac window.
acts like any other macII video card (compatable with current
applications)
sell your car/house/children it's $6000
Development toolkit available etc.
I think there is an 8mb version too.

shipping in a few months - get your order in now.

this is posted for info only ... I may be wrong on the specs.

or not.

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (;;;;YF37) (01/20/88)

In article <394@houxj.UUCP> billr@houxj.UUCP (UNIX Group) writes:
>Without going into detail (I don't have the press release materials)
>
>Truevision - formerly AT&T EPICenter has announced a version of the
>Vista board for the MAC II.
>The only macII video board you'll ever need/want.
>
>4mb of image memory,TI co-processor,fast multi-frame image capture,
>many display modes (around 1k by 1k by 32 bit color plus many others).
>
>So this baby will give you what you really wanted all along...
>live/captured/animated full color video in a mac window.
>acts like any other macII video card (compatable with current
>applications)
>sell your car/house/children it's $6000
>Development toolkit available etc.
>I think there is an 8mb version too.
>
>shipping in a few months - get your order in now.
>
>this is posted for info only ... I may be wrong on the specs.
>
>or not.

Yes, I saw it, too, and was most impressed.  However, they didn't show the
QuickDraw interface, so I'd be a little cautious right now.

I don't recall them mentioning a 8 Mb version, but I do remember a 2 Mb one.

For those who didn't see it, we are talking about 24-bit color here.  If you've
ever seen 24-bit color, you can never again be satisfied with 8 bit color.

There was also another video card (can't remeber the name; my poop sheets are
at home) that was actual showing a Mac application running, with the desktop
being a video image from a camera rather than the usual gray.  Imagine, not
only can you get lost in you Mac playing with graphics, but you could watch
television, too?!?!?!?!

Edward Moy
Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

julian@riacs.edu (Julian E Gomez) (01/20/88)

In article <6606@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP () writes:
> Yes, I saw it, too, and was most impressed.  However, they didn't show the
> QuickDraw interface, so I'd be a little cautious right now.
That's because TrueVision hasn't finished the QuickDraw interface and
doesn't expect to until March.  The tech guy I talked to also told me
they haven't even frozen the hardware specs yet.

> For those who didn't see it, we are talking about 24-bit color here.  If you've
> ever seen 24-bit color, you can never again be satisfied with 8 bit color.
Amen. I've been using 24 bit frame buffers since 1979, and find 8 bit
frame buffers fit only for monitor windows or greyscale.

> There was also another video card (can't remeber the name; my poop sheets are
> at home) that was actual showing a Mac application running, with the desktop
> being a video image from a camera rather than the usual gray.  Imagine, not
> only can you get lost in you Mac playing with graphics, but you could watch
> television, too?!?!?!?!
Computer Friends. Also check out PixelLogic.

The video board running in the Jasmine booth was a RasterOps board.

An advantage the RasterOps and TrueVision boards have over the SuperMac
board is an onboard 34010.  Neither company uses (or will use) it in
the initial version of their software. TrueVision plans to provide a C
cross compiler so the user can program it.

--
"Be alert ... the world needs more lerts!"

	Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez
	julian@riacs.edu || {...decvax!}ames!riacs!julian

newbery@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery) (01/26/88)

How does it get by the 1MB slot address limit?
--
Michael Newbery

ACSnet:	newbery@vuwcomp.nz  UUCP: newbery@vuwcomp
Une boule qui roule tue les poules.		(Landslides kill chickens)