[comp.sys.mac] SAS/GRAPH on Mac

mpip@ur-tut.UUCP (Robert Annechiarico) (01/23/88)

I'm looking for information on capturing SAS/GRAPH output on the Mac,
manipulating it slightly (mostly add or change text, and occasionally
reposition some of the elements of the graph), and outputting it to the
LaserWriter.  A dream would be to output it to an HP7475.

Is anyone out there doing such a thing?  It's tempting because SAS/GRAPH
gives me 90% of what I want in a typical graph in about 5 minutes; the
remaining 10% can take hours of work.

I think that the route might be to log into the SAS machine with
VersaTerm Pro, copy the graph, and paste it into MacDraw or Cricket
Draw.  But I'd like to know before I buy the software...

Any experience with this?  Or ideas?  Suggestions for a better approach?

Thanks.

Eric Carleen
University of Rochester Medical Center
(716)-275-5391
Bitnet: heartedc@uorhbv
UUCP: seismo!rochester!ur-tut!mpip

twakeman@hpcea.CE.HP.COM (Teriann Wakeman) (01/26/88)

You didn't state if the graph was in bitmap or vector format. Bitmaped
drawings plot poorly. The plotter makes the drawing byproducing a number
of dots. If the drawing is enlarged, the plotter would draw it by
producing a series of blocks. If it is in vector format, it probably has
an option to save in PICT format. Once in PICT format it could be plotted
by a plotter driver. The current best on the market, in my opinion, is
MacPlotts II (not to be confused with MacPlot) by Computer Shoppe.
Sorry, but I don't think it would help to bring a bit maped picture
into MacDraw then save it in PICT format. I think that it will still
look bit mapped.

Good Luck,

TeriAnn

cole@sas.UUCP (Tom Cole) (01/26/88)

In article <860@ur-tut.UUCP>, mpip@ur-tut.UUCP (Robert Annechiarico) writes:

> I'm looking for information on capturing SAS/GRAPH output on the Mac,
> manipulating it slightly (mostly add or change text, and occasionally
> reposition some of the elements of the graph), and outputting it to the
> LaserWriter.  A dream would be to output it to an HP7475.
>
> Is anyone out there doing such a thing?  It's tempting because SAS/GRAPH
> gives me 90% of what I want in a typical graph in about 5 minutes; the
> remaining 10% can take hours of work.
>
> I think that the route might be to log into the SAS machine with
> VersaTerm Pro, copy the graph, and paste it into MacDraw or Cricket
> Draw.  But I'd like to know before I buy the software...
>
> Any experience with this?  Or ideas?  Suggestions for a better approach?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Eric Carleen
> University of Rochester Medical Center
> (716)-275-5391
> Bitnet: heartedc@uorhbv
> UUCP: seismo!rochester!ur-tut!mpip

Well, one pretty easy technique (if you have a little time) is to use the
SAS/Graph metagraphics capability.  This is a "generic" device driver that
outputs a text file that contains all the graphics generated, instead of
spooling out a picture.  The format of the metagraphics file is documented
in a SAS technical report.  I believe you must make a metagraphics attribute file
that describes the eventual device - identify the size of the graphics area,
color support, "hardware" polygon fill, etc.  SAS then generates the appropriate
metacodes.

You then use VersaTerm, Kermit, or whatever to download the file to your Mac.
You can then write a simple program that reads the meta file and does the
appropriate PICT-type drawing.  Save the picture as a MacDraw image, or
whatever.

I have a sample program (and the associated SAS/Graph attribute file) that
does this very job.  Send me email or whatever if you want more details,
the software is free (the Mac software that is, SAS/Graph is *not* free).

Tom Cole, E-3
VAX Host Development
PO Box 8000
1 SAS Circle
Cary NC 27512

[The usual deal about opinions and employers, both of which I currently
 have and hope to keep...]