[comp.sys.mac] GCC Internal Hyperdrive and Multi-Finder

wally@tc.fluke.COM (Wally Miller) (11/24/87)

I'm one of those people that couldn't wait until Apple came out with the
Mac+ and it's SCSI port to get a hard disk so I bought a GCC Internal 10M hard
disk.  Unfortunately I think that I'm stuck waiting until GCC releases a new
version of its system software before I can try out the new version of the
Finder (6.0?) and Multi-Finder (1.x?).

Is this true?  Or is it possible to use this stuff?  Is GCC working on a new
system patch?

Does anyone else on this net have a similar hardware configuration?  Support
from my local vendor is next to non-existent and I'm wondering if others are
experiencing this same situation and how they are coping with it.  HELP!!!

--
-- Wally Miller
   {decvax!microsof,uw-beaver,ssc-vax,allegra,ucbvax!lbl-csam,sun}!fluke!wally

egg@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Edwin G. Green) (11/25/87)

In article <2326@sputnik.COM> wally@fluke.UUCP () writes:
>disk.  Unfortunately I think that I'm stuck waiting until GCC releases a new
>version of its system software before I can try out the new version of the
>Finder (6.0?) and Multi-Finder (1.x?).
>
>Is this true?  Or is it possible to use this stuff?  Is GCC working on a new
>system patch?

I have a GCC HD20.  I just had it upgraded for the Plus upgrade.  GCC
sent me V3R2 release of their software which includes System 4.1 and
Finder 5.5.  I don't have Multi-Finder.

--
Edwin G. Green
AT&T Bell Laboratories		Naperville, Illinois, USA

cole@sas.UUCP (Tom Cole) (11/30/87)

1.  You must have hyperdrive software V3R2, available from your
    dealer.  Note:  my dealer now charges $30, claiming this is
    GCC's doing, where I used to get it free.  Does this mean
    there will be more aggressive support for upgrades? :-)

2.  Install the new hyperdrive software first.  Be sure to use
    Manager V3R2 to turn OFF the hyperdrive caches, which were
    on by default after installation.  These caches and System 4.2
    do not get along.  Go for maximum compatibility...

3.  Then install the system using the Mac Plus script.  I found that
    after doing so, I had to remove Backgrounder, the INIT that detects
    print spooling and such.  Its presence caused MultiFinder to drag
    to it's knees.  However, I can't afford a la$erwriter anyway, so
    it didn't matter.

Parenthetical note:  how come there's no spooler support for appletalk
imagewriters?  Am I the only person who bought such a thing?  Apple,
do you still care?
:

msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.UUCP (12/04/87)

I downloaded the Finder 6.0/System 4.2 upgrade materials from
Cash-We-Serve :-) and updated my 20meg internal Hyperdrive.  So far, so
good.  (Configuration:  1 meg MacPlus, 20Meg interal Hyper).  I have
followed the suggestion of turning off the RAM caches from the Manager.
I'm also running with Software Supply's Suitcase and Pyro! INITs.  They
seem to work relatively well, as long as I remember to hold down the
OPTION key while selecting 'Suitcase' from the Apple menu (and continue
to hold it down while selecting my desk accessory).

I, of course, agree with all the previous comments trashing GCC for
their "support" (if you can call it that) of their Hyperdrive.  Talk
about giving the customer the shaft after laying out serious change for
a product -- they make (stereotypical) used-car  salesmen look
positively charming and helpful.

As soon as I can cough up the money for a new memory board, the
Hyperdrive is history.  Perhaps we should organize a boycott of GCC's
Personal Laser Printer, in response to their support of Hyperdrives? (no
smiley here, folks!)
--
Mike Simpson		Teknowledge, Inc.  	Los Angeles, CA
Internet:msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

jtd@wdl1.UUCP (12/04/87)

Sorry to the net...I had trouble e-mailing.

Wally, you need V3R2 of the Hyperdrive Software.
For more info: 1)  E-mail to me at jtd@ford-wdl1.arpa,
               2)  phone (415) 852-4446 (day)
                         (408) 738-4160 (home)

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (01/21/88)

I have a 512k Mac upgraded to 2 Meg (Via Dove's upgrade),a 20Meg HyperDrive,
the V3R2 software and can run the 4.2/6.0 system and all that goes with it.
The Dove upgrade is a little tricky to install right but seems to work just
fine.

The HyperDrive controller board is the same one used for a 10meg, (I upgraded
from a 10 to a 20 and it uses the same controller board.)

--
Tony Jacobs * Center for Engineering Design * U of U * t-jacobs@ced.utah.edu

msimpson@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Simpson) (01/27/88)

Well, I'm afraid I may have started this one some time ago.  But, to
agree with Peter Merchant and others, GCC's support of the internal
HyperDrive has gone from bad to worse to non-existant.  However, we end
users can take at least *some* solace in the fact that GCC doesn't
discriminate -- they screw other developers as well.

An example follows.

When I got my upgrade to V3R2, I noticed that there was no HyperTools
utility along with it.  (HyperTools is a volume de-fragmentation utility
for HyperDrives.)  I ordered ALSoft's DiskExpress, only to find that it
would't work under V3R2.  I was surprised at this, so I called ALSoft.
The following exchange took place:

ME:  I'm running V3R2 Hyperdrive Software, new System/Finder, and
	DiskExpress won't work.  It seems to be eating my hard disk.
ALSOFT:  Oh, do you have a disk with V3R1, System 3.2 and Finder 5.3?
ME: Yes.  Why?
ALSOFT:  Try booting the Mac with that disk, running DiskExpress from it
	on your Hyperdrive volumes.  Then put HyperTools on that disk,
	run it, and do a Complete Optimization on the volume..  That
	will make the free space on the volume accessible to all
	drawers, rather than just the one on which you ran
	DiskExpress.

ME:  (some timelater) I tried it, and it worked.  That's good news.  But
	why won't DiskExpress work directly under V3R2?
ALSOFT:  Because GCC changed their file and block allocation algorithms
	between V3R1 and V3R2, and wouldn't tell us how they did it.

How petty.  How juvenile.  I've had to replace my boat anchor (20 meg
internal Hyperdrive) twice because of kamikaze flameouts ("This file
can't be opened.  Unknown error." is my favorite), instances where the
Manager has refused to work, etc., etc.

I will never purchase another General Computer Corporation product.
Those of you who have purchased a Personal Laser Printer:  good luck,
and let's hope you don't need it.