[comp.sys.mac] Stuffit *1.30*

jhardman@prandtl (John P. Hardman) (01/19/88)

Hear ye, hear ye, Stuffit 1.30 is available and it now supports BinHex (HQX)
format. I will be posting it to comp.binaries.mac tomorrow.  Check it out!

Best,
 JPH

"The preceding opinion is solely my own and does not necessarily
reflect the opinions of my employer, NASA, or the United States
Government."

jhardman@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov

John P. Hardman
m/s 258-6
NASA Ames Research Center
Moffett Field, CA 94035

raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) (01/20/88)

In article <131@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, jhardman@prandtl (John P. Hardman) writes:
> Hear ye, hear ye, Stuffit 1.30 is available and it now supports BinHex (HQX)
> format. I will be posting it to comp.binaries.mac tomorrow.  Check it out!
>
> Best,
>  JPH
>
> jhardman@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov
> John P. Hardman

I have sent (or tried to) 1.31 to the moderator.
1.31 just fixes a bug in converting .pit files in 1.30  (1.30 was never widely
distributed in the first place.)

--
Raymond Lau                       GEnie: RayLau
100-04 70 Ave.                    CIS: 76174,2617

cimeti@nucsrl.UUCP (Israel Cimet) (01/21/88)

>I have sent (or tried to) 1.31 to the moderator. 1.31 just fixes a
>bug in converting .pit files in 1.30  (1.30 was never widely
>distributed in the first place.)

>Raymond Lau                       GEnie: RayLau

I disagree. I saw Stuffit 1.30 in Mac BBSs accross the country
(eg.: Macinfo in California, Desktoppers in Chicago, etc.). The new
version arrived one or two days later.

Never underestimate the power of networking!.

(BTW, good job Ray!!. Downloading from USENET is now painless wih the
addition of binhex decoding/encoding).

--------------------
I. Arieh Cimet
Northwestern University

tomc@mntgfx.mentor.com (Tom Carstensen) (01/22/88)

I'm curious as to the reason for implementing BinHex 4.0 version of
encoding/decoding.  Anything I donwload from GEnie must be
decoded using BinHex 5.0, Stuffit simply chokes on these.

: Tom Carstensen              Usenet: tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM :
: Mentor Graphics             GEnie:  XPC23637               :
:                                                            :
:     . . . and this shall be Max Headroom's finest hour.    :
:                                       - Max Headroom       :

kateley@apple.UUCP (Jim Kateley) (01/23/88)

In article <1988Jan21.113707.711@mntgfx.mentor.com> tomc@mntgfx.mentor.com (Tom Carstensen) writes:
>I'm curious as to the reason for implementing BinHex 4.0 version of
>encoding/decoding.  Anything I donwload from GEnie must be
>decoded using BinHex 5.0, Stuffit simply chokes on these.
               ^^^^^^^^^^
BinHex 5.0 is for MacBinary files, and it will not convert
BinHex 4.0 files.  If you are downloading files from Genie,
you should have your terminal emulator set for MacBinary,
and tell Genie you want to do a Xmodem download.  Then
you don't need to do anything to the files once you get them,
they will be converted properly.  You only need BinHex 4.0 for
files that are transmitted over ascii lines (like Usenet...)

>:------------------------------------------------------------:
>: Tom Carstensen              Usenet: tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM :
>: Mentor Graphics             GEnie:  XPC23637               :

--

Jim Kateley
Applelink: kateley1
UUCP: {sun, voder, nsc, mtxinu, dual}!apple!kateley
CSNET: kateley@apple.COM

Disclaimer:   What I say, think, or smell does not reflect any policy or
	      stray thought by Apple Computer, Inc.

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (01/24/88)

> BinHex 5.0 is for MacBinary files, and it will not convert
> BinHex 4.0 files....

I don't think this is correct.  Although BinHex 5.0 is indeed for Macbinary
files, it is also backwardly compatible in _decoding_ files produced with BinHex
4.0.  Thus, if you have gotten a file from this system and you want to convert
it to an application, you can use either BinHex 4.0 or BinHex 5.0 to
accomplish this, even though the file header reads that BinHex 4.0 is to be
used.

I'm pretty darn sure that I am right in this, as I did it two days ago...

Jim

USENET  -->  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)

My own opinions, of course.

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (01/27/88)

In article <7253@apple.UUCP> kateley@apple.UUCP (Jim Kateley) writes:
>BinHex 5.0 is for MacBinary files, and it will not convert
>BinHex 4.0 files.

Really? The last time I used BinHex 5.0, a couple of weeks ago, it converted
a BinHex 4.0 file to the target (StuffIt) file.

As for StuffIt, I am looking forward to no longer using a separate application
to un-BinHex postings to the net. Of course, StuffIt 1.20 needs improvements
to be made to it's user interface.

>Jim Kateley

Jason Haines, President

Club Mac Macintosh Users Group, Sydney, Australia
Phone Home: +61-2-73-4444
Snail:      Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
ACSnet:     clubmac@runx.ips.oz	   ARPA:   clubmac%runx.ips.oz@uunet.uu.net
UUCP:{enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,uunet,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.ips.oz!clubmac