[comp.sys.mac] MultiFinder/Finder 6.0 difficulties

jac@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jim Clausing) (01/22/88)

I just installed MF two nights ago, so please bear with me, but I have
run across a couple of problems and was wondering if anyone else had
seen them and/or could suggest solutions.

First off, I am running an upgraded (to E) 512K Mac with 2M of MacMemory
and a serial MacBottom.  I am running System 4.2/MultiFinder 1.0/Finder
6.0 right out of the box with Suitcase, Pyro!, and the ApplicationMenu
INIT posted here recently.

Problem #1, MacWrite 4.5 doesn't seem to work at all for me.  When I
start it up the mouse freezes before the menubar is put up.  This
happens both with and without MultiFinder.  Don't tell me I should
be using something else, because I do, but my sister still uses it
and besides everyone should have a copy around so they can read,
print, etc. the Tech. Notes.  Does 4.6 do any better?  When will
5.0 be released and is it really worth the money to upgrade (or can
I still get it free by taking the original disk into a local dealer?)?

Problem #2, under MultiFinder, RedRyder 10.3 and StuffIt 1.31 don't
seem to want to work together.  I can run either one of them okay, but
if I try to have both open at the same time, the mouse freezes while
opening the second application (order makes no difference).

Problem #3, (not as big a problem, but somewhat annoying) when booting
the hard disk, for some reason, ElectricStart cannot seem to hand off
control to the Finder on the hard disk anymore.  The disk is ejected,
but immediately prompted for reinsertion.  To run from the hard disk
I have to use the old option-command double-click trick (on either
Finder or MultiFinder depending on which I wish to run).

Any assistance on any or all of the above would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx.
--
Jim Clausing  -- "Is it time for a colorful metaphor?"
CIS Department			jac@ohio-state.arpa

jac@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jim Clausing) (01/22/88)

Problem #4:  Printing from an application under MultiFinder.  It doesn't
matter that my MacBottom does print spooling for me, data isn't being
sent to the printer fast enough.  The buffer never gets filled.  It
pauses at the end of every line.  Rather annoying to have to reboot
without MultiFinder to get any printing done.
--
Jim Clausing  -- "Is it time for a colorful metaphor?"
CIS Department			jac@ohio-state.arpa
Ohio State University		jac@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
Columbus, OH 43210	GEnie:		J.CLAUSING

MICHAEL_CHRISTOPHER_VOGT@cup.portal.com (01/24/88)

Another Problem:  Has anyone been able to get MacServer (V2.3) to work
with system 4.2/6.0.  When I try to install it the only option I have
is to install it as a user.  The server radio button is dimmed.
Suggestions???

Thanks
-Mike

tom@iconsys.UUCP (Tom Kimpton) (01/28/88)

In article <5017@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> jac@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jim Clausing) writes:
>I just installed MF two nights ago, so please bear with me, but I have
>run across a couple of problems and was wondering if anyone else had
>seen them and/or could suggest solutions.
>
>First off, I am running an upgraded (to E) 512K Mac with 2M of MacMemory
>
>Problem #1, MacWrite 4.5 doesn't seem to work at all for me.  When I
>start it up the mouse freezes before the menubar is put up.  This
>happens both with and without MultiFinder.

I had the same problem when I upgraded my SE to 2.5M.  I was booting up
with Macsbug present.  And everytime I would try to run MacWrite it
would freeze the mouse.  After taking Macsbug out of the System Folder
MacWrite had a much better time.  So it might be one of your INIT's
causing the problem.  Try booting up without them and see what happens,
then replacing them one at a time to find the culprit.

Hope this helps.
--
Tom Kimpton		    {ihnp4,uunet}!iconsys!tom
Icon International, Inc.    {ihnp4,psivax}!nrcvax!nrc-ut!iconsys!tom