[comp.sys.mac] Problem with Tech Note #176

howard@mtunj.ATT.COM (H. Moskovitz) (12/08/87)

I downloaded and unbinhexed and unpackited the tech notes regarding the
installation of SIMMs (#176?). What I got was four files: one general, and
three specific for the Plus, SE, and II, respectively.

The problem is that the specific files are in a format that I can't read.
Neither MacWrite, nor Word or even Teachtext can read it. The general file
came through as a MacWrite file.

Could the person who posted these files please tell me what format the
three specific files are in or repost them with the files in a popular
format such as MacWrite?

Thanks.
		Howard Moskovitz
	AT&T Bell Labs @ Liberty Corner, NJ
		ihnp4!io!howard

egg@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Edwin G. Green) (12/09/87)

In article <123@mtunj.ATT.COM> howard@mtunj.ATT.COM (H. Moskovitz) writes:

>The problem is that the specific files are in a format that I can't read.
>Neither MacWrite, nor Word or even Teachtext can read it. The general file
>came through as a MacWrite file.

They are in MacDraw format.
--
Edwin G. Green
AT&T Bell Laboratories		Naperville, Illinois, USA

wbell@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Warren Bell) (12/10/87)

 Does anyone have a p-d program that can read MacDraw format files?
I don't think I want to spend $270(Cdn) just to read part of a TechNote..
--
----
University of Toronto Computing Services	       Warren Bell

Disclaimer: the views expressed above are mine, and do not in any way reflect
the views of my employers.

shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) (12/11/87)

The format of those mystery files is MacDraw, as the note in part 1 says,
and it would be quite impossible to put them out in word processor form
because they are multi page pictures.

A hint for those who want to print them in reasonable space: Use 50%
reduction and do not select 'no space between pages' It's a ribbon drain,
but it looks real good.

bytebug@felix.UUCP (Roger L. Long) (12/12/87)

In article <123@mtunj.ATT.COM> howard@mtunj.ATT.COM (H. Moskovitz) writes:
>The problem is that the specific files are in a format that I can't read.
>Neither MacWrite, nor Word or even Teachtext can read it. The general file
>came through as a MacWrite file.
>
>Could the person who posted these files please tell me what format the
>three specific files are in or repost them with the files in a popular
>format such as MacWrite?

They are diagrams in MacDraw format.  You need MacDraw to look at them.
--
	Roger L. Long
	FileNet Corp

thomas%spline.utah.edu.uucp@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (01/21/88)

The other files are in MacDraw format (which you would have discovered
had you read the MacWrite file).  I don't know exactly why they
weren't just pasted into the MacWrite file as figures.

=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@cs.utah.edu)

thomas%spline.utah.edu.uucp@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (01/21/88)

You should be able to get someone who does have MacDraw to cut them to
the clipboard and paste them into MacWrite.  I'd do it for you except
that I'm pretty far away.

=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@cs.utah.edu)

jimc@iscuva.ISCS.COM (Jim Cathey) (01/26/88)

In article <2286X@utah-gr.UUCP> thomas%spline.utah.edu.UUCP@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) writes:

>You should be able to get someone who does have MacDraw to cut them to
>the clipboard and paste them into MacWrite.  I'd do it for you except
>that I'm pretty far away.

The problem (we have the same 'problem' with many of our MacDraw pictures
here, too) is that the drawings are printed with LW 50% reduction.  Trying
to shrink these types of drawings to half size in MacWrite (or Word) has
always produced less than optimal results -- mostly because the text doesn't
shrink with it.  Also, isn't there a limit on the size of PICT you can safely
paste?  These things are large, one of the TN176 drawings is 2400 objects,
taking about 35% of memory (MD's estimate) on my 512KE (Sys 3.2).

+----------------+
! II      CCCCCC !  Jim Cathey
! II  SSSSCC     !  ISC Systems Corp.
! II      CC     !  TAF-C8;  Spokane, WA  99220
! IISSSS  CC     !  UUCP: uunet!iscuva!jimc
! II      CCCCCC !  (509) 927-5757
			"With excitement like this, who is needing enemas?"

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (01/28/88)

I just printed the pictures out on my ImageWriter II in 50% reduction
mode (from MacDraw), and everything was hunky dory!  Yes, each drawing
did fit on one sheet of paper.

	-Ted