[comp.sys.mac] flyback transformer replacement

spud@metasoft.UUCP (David Hayes) (01/24/88)

i think this has been discussed previously so i will apologize in advance for
the re-hash.

my mac has been exhibiting symptoms typical of the 'bad flyback transformer'
and i am interested in replacing it myself rather than having a dealer
replace the analog board.

questions:
	after de-soldering the transformer how do i detach it from the cup
	that is attached to the crt, or do i have to detach the	cup from
	the crt ?

	when i buy a replacment transformer will it include the cup ?

answers to the above questions and any other related tips will be
greatly appreciated.

e-mail or posted responses accepted, i will post a summary if
interest warrants.

				thanks,
					spud@metasoft.UUCP

rob@uokmax.UUCP (Robert K. Shull) (01/28/88)

In article <333@metasoft.UUCP> spud@metasoft.UUCP writes:
>i think this has been discussed previously so i will apologize in advance for
>the re-hash.
>
>my mac has been exhibiting symptoms typical of the 'bad flyback transformer'
>and i am interested in replacing it myself rather than having a dealer
>replace the analog board.
>					spud@metasoft.UUCP
Ditto on the apology.
I too am having a power supply problem. My Mac (128 updgraded to 512e with
Apple & MacMemory upgrades) went dead (screen dark, etc.) suddendly. All
I get now is a rapid clicking sound (apparently from the speaker)
My local dealer quoted $170 to swap power supplies. Does anyone have any
ideas for repair/replacement that won't cost quite so much?
Again, send mail and I'll summarize.
	Thanks,
	Robert

--
Robert K. Shull
University of Oklahoma, Engineering Computer Network