[comp.sys.mac] Mac II video problem?

sulli_t@tahoe.unr.edu (Tim Sullivan) (01/23/88)

I recently put together a Mac II system using Apple's video card, the
video memory expansion, and the Apple color monitor.  The only problem
noticed is that there is a thin (probably only 1 pixel wide) black line
running across the monitor screen about 2" from the bottom.  Any suggestions
will be appreciated!  I'm no hardware expert, but would like to get any
idea of the cause before packing-up the system and hauling it back to
the dealer!

Please e-mail responses directly to me.

Thanks.  Tim Sullivan (sulli_t@tahoe.unr.edu.UUCP)

dmm@gatech.edu (donald mead) (01/28/88)

NOTICE:  Those of you with Apple or Sony color monitors or a Trinitron at home
		 may not want to read this!!!

In article <914@tahoe.unr.edu> sulli_t@tahoe.unr.edu.UUCP (Tim Sullivan) writes:

>I recently put together a Mac II system using Apple's video card, the
>video memory expansion, and the Apple color monitor.  The only problem
>noticed is that there is a thin (probably only 1 pixel wide) black line
>running across the monitor screen about 2" from the bottom.  Any suggestions

This is really a generally applicable question/problem.  The fact is that
this little line is caused by a wire holding the shadow mask in place, and
anyone with a trinitron tube will be able to see this if they look.
You may hate me for this, but check your set at home (or a friends)The
good thing is that its fairly subtle and most people never notice it unless
its pointed out to them.  But once you've seen it, it never goes away:-(
The only way to get rid of it is to buy a non-trinitron based monitor.
Note, I'm not sure if any other color picture tubes use a wire loop to hold
their color maskes in place, but if you're going to be staring at a screen for
X hours a day, you might want to investigate for yourself before purchasing.

L.I.L.A.F.,
donald
--
donald mead
(AIRMICS), Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332