[comp.sys.mac] IBEEP cdev -- I DIDN'T POST THIS!!!

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (01/28/88)

In article <8801250516.AA01599@crime> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (supposedly me) writes:
>I like this even better than IBEEP -- it's called CheapBeep.  Have fun...
>
>(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)
>
>:#80SC@&`3Q9PF!"MC'9fBh"LF#!!N!FP3C!!8`#3"!%!N!-Mb`!!)XX!!!&f!*!

Before someone starts yelling at me for posting a binary on comp.sys.mac, I
must point out that I DID NOT POST THIS!   I E-MAILED this article to the
original poster who requested the IBEEP cdev, Christopher Hegarty
(hegarty@janus.uucp).  Since the From path in my article indicates it came
from janus, I assume he posted it.

I wouldn't mind so much, if he (or whoever posted it) hadn't gone to the
trouble to forge my name and article ID onto the article; I can only assume
because they didn't want flames to hit their mailboxes for reposting a
comp.binaries.mac article on comp.sys.mac.

Seems like pretty poor repayment for the favor of having sent it out by
E-mail to Chris in the first place.

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

hegarty@janus.uucp (Christopher Hegarty) (01/29/88)

In article <2754@fluke.COM! moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
!
!Before someone starts yelling at me for posting a binary on comp.sys.mac, I
!must point out that I DID NOT POST THIS!   I E-MAILED this article to the
!original poster who requested the IBEEP cdev, Christopher Hegarty
!(hegarty@janus.uucp).  Since the From path in my article indicates it came
!from janus, I assume he posted it.
!
!I wouldn't mind so much, if he (or whoever posted it) hadn't gone to the
!trouble to forge my name and article ID onto the article; I can only assume
!because they didn't want flames to hit their mailboxes for reposting a
!comp.binaries.mac article on comp.sys.mac.
!
!Seems like pretty poor repayment for the favor of having sent it out by
!E-mail to Chris in the first place.
!

You may have e-mailed it to me, but I didn't ever receive it.  The first I saw
of it was when it appeared on comp.sys.mac.  If you're using rn, perhaps you
used the followup command rather than reply.

I think you should have checked with me before making accusations about the
source of the posting.

Nevertheless, thank you for taking the time to send Cheapbeep.

Christopher Hegarty (hegarty@janus.berkeley.edu)

!                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
!INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
!Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
!CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...
!<*> DISCLAIMER: Do what you want with me, but leave my employers alone! <*>

lapoint@brl-adm.ARPA (Claude Lapointe <lapoint>) (01/29/88)

My 1st msg to the net, although i've been reading it for quite some time.
In addition, I've just been cautioned about the cost via the 1st-timers'
help msg.

The net could save even more $ by its members not being so quick to take
offense.  Agreed, the forging poster SHOULD NOT HAVE DONE SO, and the
author has every right to proclaim his own innocence, but why not
at least presume the best rather than the worst of the forger?

IE: instead of merely trying to avoid flames,  perhaps he really was
impressed by the software, wanted to share it, and wanted credit to go
where it was due.