[comp.sys.mac] of mice and macs

nick@drutx.ATT.COM (SilvaN) (01/15/88)

After using the mouse on the mac II for a while, I have decided that I
like the feel of it much more that the mouse on the Mac Plus. Does anyone
know of a replacement mouse for the Plus that is closer to the feel of
the new mice used on the SE, GS, MacII?

					Nick Silva

yorick@kbsc.UUCP (Yorick Phoenix) (01/21/88)

In article <6448@drutx.ATT.COM> nick@drutx.ATT.COM (SilvaN) writes:

>After using the mouse on the mac II for a while, I have decided that I
>like the feel of it much more that the mouse on the Mac Plus. Does anyone
>know of a replacement mouse for the Plus that is closer to the feel of
>the new mice used on the SE, GS, MacII?
>
>					Nick Silva

I have friend who uses a IIgs mouse with his Mac+.  He is a hardware buff and
thus quite easily bypassed the ADB board that is in the IIgs mouse.  This will
probably work for an SE/II mouse as well.

He also quite happly converted an old xerox 3-button optical mouse that I had
left over when we upgraded our 1108 to an 1186.

He has published the wiring changes needed to do this in europe on MacTel a
Mac Users bulletin board.

If people are interested I can download the details and post/mail them out.

	Yorick
	------
--
        +--------------------------+ The Knowledge-Based Systems Center
        +--------------------------+ Voice: +44 1 350 1622

mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) (01/23/88)

In article <897@kbsc.UUCP>, yorick@kbsc.UUCP (Yorick Phoenix) says:

+
+ He also quite happly converted an old xerox 3-button optical mouse that I had
+ left over when we upgraded our 1108 to an 1186.
+
+ He has published the wiring changes needed to do this in europe on MacTel a
+ Mac Users bulletin board.
+
+ If people are interested I can download the details and post/mail them out.

I'd like to know how to hook up a Xerox optical mouse to the ADB.  I have one
hooked up to my 512ke, but will be moving up to an SE soon.

Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {uunet|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|uw-beaver}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

phssra@emory.uucp (Scott R. Anderson) (01/28/88)

In article <6448@drutx.ATT.COM> nick@drutx.ATT.COM (SilvaN) writes:

>After using the mouse on the mac II for a while, I have decided that I
>like the feel of it much more that the mouse on the Mac Plus. Does anyone
>know of a replacement mouse for the Plus that is closer to the feel of
>the new mice used on the SE, GS, MacII?
>
>					Nick Silva

You might try an optical mouse such as is made by MSC Technologies,
which you can get for ~$80 mail order.  I even prefer them to the
new ADB mouse.

*                                     Scott Robert Anderson
  *      **                           gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **                   phssra@emoryu1.{bitnet,csnet}
    * *      * *    * **
     *        *      *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (01/29/88)

>In article <6448@drutx.ATT.COM> nick@drutx.ATT.COM (SilvaN) writes:
>
>After using the mouse on the mac II for a while, I have decided that I
>like the feel of it much more that the mouse on the Mac Plus. Does anyone
>know of a replacement mouse for the Plus that is closer to the feel of
>the new mice used on the SE, GS, MacII?
>
>					Nick Silva

Another solution would be to get Olduvai's ADBridge, which lets you connect
ADB peripherals to old Macs and old peripherals to ADB Macs. I don't recall
the price of the bridge, but I think it's around $129 list. If anyone out there
has one, I'd like to hear their experiences with it (I can just see using an
Extended Keyboard on a Mac Plus...)

Robert Hammen		Computer Applications	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104