[comp.sys.mac] MAC ][ / SUN network

acw@anumb.UUCP (a.w.wadell) (01/27/88)

We have a SUN 3/260 with a 250 M disk drive and would like to connect some
small workstations to it via Ethernet.  We are considering some SUN 3/50 M
without disks, since they can use the big disk drive.  I would like to explore
the possibility of using a MAC ][ running AU/X on the network.  I have a few
questions:
	- Can the MAC ][ be connected to the ethernet ?
	- Could we run the MAC ][ without a hard disk - i.e. have it use the
		big disk attached to the sun 3/260 ?
		Could it run the UNIX that comes with SUN?
	- Can a MAC ][ that is equipped to run AU/X also run the MAC OS
		( not at the same time, but without hardware modification)

				Thanks,
				Andrea C. Wadell

verber@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (01/28/88)

>	Can the MAC ][ be connected to the ethernet ?

Yes.  You can use the etherTalk board from Apple or the board sold by
Kinetics.  I have used (and have a EtherTalk board).  I haven't used
the Kinetics board, but assume it works just dandy.

>	Could we run the MAC ][ without a hard disk - i.e. have it use the
>	big disk attached to the sun 3/260 ?

Last I heard A/UX doesn't boot up diskless, but that wouldn't take
much work.

>	Could it run the UNIX that comes with SUN?

No way.

>	Can a MAC ][ that is equipped to run AU/X also run the MAC OS?

Yes.  Think of the Mac OS as the mini-root.

Cheers,
Computer Science Department			         Mark A. Verber
The Ohio State University			 verber@ohio-state.arpa
+1 (614) 292-7344				  cbosgd!osu-cis!verber

paulsen@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/28/88)

I can answer at least two of your questions.

Can a mac II be connected....
 		Yes, via the Apple EtherTalk card or the Kinetics EtherPort II,
	the Mac II can be directly connected to the EtherNet.  Via a Kinetics
	Fastpath, it can be connected to the EtherNet indirectly.  In both of
	these cases, there  are programs that will allow you to establish
	connections to to the sun for file transfer and terminal communication.
[ Begin PLUG]
	NCSA Telnet is one such program.  It is available free if you can FTP
	it from ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu (128.174.20.50), or for a handling fee of
	US$20, we will send you a copy on disk with the printed manual.  Full
	source code (Aztec C) is available.
[ End PLUG]

	For purposes of file sharing, you should look into the AUFS portion
	of the CAP software which is available from columbia.

Can a diskless Mac II boot off of a Sun?
	At the moment, I have not tested this, so I can only give my
	understanding of the AUX manuals.  Apple is supporting NFS under AUX,
	and they intend to have diskless AUX clients.  Sun's primary FS for
	diskless machines is also NFS (although they use another protocol
	for the root volume).  Therefore, I would assume that machines
	running AUX will eventually be able to boot off of Sun's.  NOTE:
	to boot AUX, you must run a MacOS application, therefore you are
	required to boot from floppy at the very least.

Can MacOS be run on an AUX machine?
	As previously stated, Macintosh's come up in MacOS and an application
	program boots AUX, therefore if that program is not run, you will
	be in MacOS.

Good Luck!
Gaige Paulsen
gaige@ncsa.uiuc.edu

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (01/29/88)

In article <158@anumb.UUCP> acw@anumb.UUCP (a.w.wadell) writes:
>We have a SUN 3/260 with a 250 M disk drive and would like to connect some
>small workstations to it via Ethernet.  We are considering some SUN 3/50 M
>without disks, since they can use the big disk drive.  I would like to explore
>the possibility of using a MAC ][ running AU/X on the network.  I have a few
>questions:
>	- Can the MAC ][ be connected to the ethernet ?
	Yes, if you install an EtherTalk card.  A/UX will then have all
the networking features of your suns (except they cannot be diskless)
The Mac OS will be able to use AppleTalk over EtherNet.  Apple doesn't
currently support TCP/IP although there is a package from somebody that
does.  Unfortunately I don't remember the details.
>	- Could we run the MAC ][ without a hard disk - i.e. have it use the
>		big disk attached to the sun 3/260 ?
	No.  There are currently no provisions for a diskless Mac, unless
you just want to look at the smiley face :-)  A/UX will allow you to use
NFS (and yellow pages and other TCP/IP software), but you still gotta
have a disk.
>		Could it run the UNIX that comes with SUN?
	I won't swear that it won't but I would be >>IMMENSELY<< surprised
if it did.  In other words, no.
>	- Can a MAC ][ that is equipped to run AU/X also run the MAC OS
>		( not at the same time, but without hardware modification)
	Certainly.  In fact you can even run some Macintosh applications
under A/UX.  I don't have the list handy though.

--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi