[comp.sys.mac] HELP ftp from sumex.aim.stanford.edu!

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (01/06/88)

Arrgh!

ok, so I got an account on a machine with access to sumex-aim.stanford.edu,
I ftp to it and log on with anonymous.
I cd to info-mac
the response I get is:
331 Default name accepted. Send Password to connect to it.

What I exclaim? Hmmm well I try a

quote PASS <anypassword>

and the system says something like huh you are already connected!

When I try to do a get or mget on any file in the info-mac directory
I get permission denied.

WHAT GIVES??? AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG? AM I CD ing to the WRONG DIR?
IS THERE A CERTAIN PASSWORD I NEED TO SPECIFY WHEN CONNECTING?

IS THERE A CONSPIRACY TO PREVENT ME FROM GETTING ANYTHING THAT IS NOT
posted to a notes group?

Or is Stanford just giving me a hard time?

Please mail me an answer before my head explodes!

David L. Williams
dlw@hpda
Hewlett Packard, Cupertino Ca
Software Development Technology Laboratory
Distributed Computing Environment Project
Mailstop: 47LR
"Sinanju, buddy -- the real stuff"

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (01/06/88)

In article <11540100@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>I cd to info-mac
>the response I get is:
>331 Default name accepted. Send Password to connect to it.

I don't know what this means, but I just <CR> this message and
I am connected.  Probably some directories are protected and TOPS-20
still gives the message for unprotected one.  Maybe some TOPS-20 wizard
will answer.

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (01/07/88)

Ok guys I now have the problem straightened out. It seems I left the < >
signs off of my cd <info-mac> and was just entering cd info-mac.

Thanks to all of you who sent mail to me offering solutions.

David L. Williams
dlw@hpda
Hewlett Packard, Cupertino Ca
Software Development Technology Laboratory
Distributed Computing Environment Project
Mailstop: 47LR
"Sinanju, buddy -- the real stuff"

jkwan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Joe C. Kwan) (01/30/88)

speaking of the sumex.aim.standford.edu...   well, I've only heard about
it... how do I go about getting there...  I'm on Cory@Berkeley...  can
someone please reply with set of instructions that'll that me electronically
to sumex.aim.standford?

Joe