[comp.sys.mac] Excel problem...

blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (01/07/88)

I'm using Excel 1.05 on a MacPlus with the latest system, and am
experiencing a problem.  I have a macro sheet, and around R100C1, the
following:

=SELECT(!RC)
=RETURN()

When I select another worksheet, and run this macro, it selects
R100C1, which is the current cell in the macro sheet, instead of
selecting the current cell in the worksheet (in other words, not
moving the active cell).

In reading the description of SELECT in the macro manual, it says
that !RC should be relative to the active cell in the active
worksheet.

Has anyone seen this?  Is it a bug, or am I not reading the manual
correctly?  Thanx for any info you can provide.

--
Brian L. Matthews                               "A power tool is not a toy.
...{mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!blm          Unix is a power tool."

adams3@cisunx.UUCP (Larry D Adams) (01/09/88)

In article <2318@cxsea.UUCP> blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
>I'm using Excel 1.05 on a MacPlus with the latest system, and am
>experiencing a problem.  I have a macro sheet, and around R100C1, the
>following:
>
>=SELECT(!RC)
>=RETURN()
>
>When I select another worksheet, and run this macro, it selects
>R100C1, which is the current cell in the macro sheet, instead of
>selecting the current cell in the worksheet (in other words, not
>moving the active cell).

I'm not exactly sure why this isn't working.  Yes, it seems to me also
that this *should* work.  However, it seems easily overcome.  Take a
look at why you want to do this.  Do you just want to make the current
cell the active one?  Easy.  Just type
	=SELECT(,"RC")
that'll do it for you.  Of course, by inserting the "!" before the "R"
will give an error.  Again, I don't know why.  But, the line above will
make the current cell the active cell on the active worksheet.  Any
explanations or questions, please e-mail me.

	larry adams
	u of pgh
	adams3

blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (01/10/88)

Larry D Adams (adams3@unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP) writes:
|In article <2318@cxsea.UUCP> blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) writes:
|>I'm using Excel 1.05 on a MacPlus with the latest system, and am
|>experiencing a problem.  I have a macro sheet, and around R100C1, the
|>following:
|>
|>=SELECT(!RC)
|>=RETURN()
|>When I select another worksheet, and run this macro, it selects
|>R100C1, which is the current cell in the macro sheet, instead of
|>selecting the current cell in the worksheet (in other words, not
|>moving the active cell).
|I'm not exactly sure why this isn't working.  Yes, it seems to me also
|that this *should* work.  However, it seems easily overcome.  Take a
|look at why you want to do this.  Do you just want to make the current
|cell the active one?  Easy.  Just type
|	=SELECT(,"RC")
|that'll do it for you.

The example I gave was a simplified version of what I was actually trying to
do.  The work around I used was to use text like you suggest.  I can't remember
why right now, but using text was a lot messier (although it had the advantage
of working :-)), so I tried the =SELECT(!RC) form, and it annoyed me that it
didn't work and should have.  Thanx for the info.

--
Brian L. Matthews                               "A power tool is not a toy.
...{mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!blm          Unix is a power tool."
+1 206 251 6811
Computer X Inc. - a division of Motorola New Enterprises

jkwan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Joe C. Kwan) (01/30/88)

in regards to your problem with
=SELECT(!RC)

replacing that line with