[comp.sys.mac] The Easiest Way of Getting PostScript Files from Mac+

jhc@Ist.CO.UK (Jen Cheng) (01/19/88)

Could anyone tell me how one can get a postscript output from Mac+?
When printing a document of MacDraw/MacPaint on LaserWriter, the stuff
transmitted to the printer is presumably in postscript. Suppose one
wants such a file for something else rather than printing, what is
the handiest way of obtaining it?

Jen Cheng
IST, Cambridge
England

erik@hpsadla.HP (Erik Kilk) (01/28/88)

Use Control-K immediately after OK'ing the laser print.  You don't need
a laser printer connected.  You'll get a text file with the postscript in
it called PostScript0.

flowers@CS.UCLA.EDU (01/28/88)

I was just shown this today, and it worked for me:  immediately after
you click the OK button in the printer dialog box, hold down command-F
until a box appears informing you that a postscript file is being
created.  In my case it was called Postscript0 and appeared in the
folder above where I was running.  That file is a text file, and so
then you can edit it or whatever you want from them.  This was on an
SE, I don't know if it would work on a Mac+ or not.

Once I had the postscript modified the way I wanted, I used Widgets
(which you get when you purchase Disktop) to print the modifed
postscript on the Laserwriter.

A while ago I asked how to capture a printer output in a file when an
application insists only on printing.  Glue (comes with a viewer
application) and SuperGlue (comes with a viewer application and DA,
and will do "text extraction") were the only things recommended to me.
Those do work fine, though some operations are slow (e.g. scrolling in
the viewer).  In my case capturing the postscript would work fine too.

ajq@j.cc.purdue.edu (John O'Malley) (01/30/88)

In article <2290014@hpsadla.HP> erik@hpsadla.HP (Erik Kilk) writes:

>Use Control-K immediately after OK'ing the laser print.  You don't need
>a laser printer connected.  You'll get a text file with the postscript in
>it called PostScript0.

I just tried this today in MacWrite 4.6... that should be Command-F.  It put
the PostScript0 file in my System Folder.  Is it safe to presume that this
trick _won't_ work when printing on the ImageWriter?

John O'Malley      \  Personal Computing       \  Purdue University \ (317)
j.cc.purdue.edu!ajq \  Learning Resource Center \  Computing Center  \ 494-1787