[comp.sys.mac] What does CheapBeep Do?

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (01/29/88)

In article <797@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>I got an INIT called CheapBeep off the net but what does it do?
>Its icon appears on the screen during boot up, but the Mac's beep
>is still a beep. What do I do to make Cheapbeep do its stuff?

It's a CDEV, i.e. a control panel device, like QuicKeys or General or Mouse
or Color or Pyro!.  You select and control them via the Control Panel (of
course, they must be in your System Folder to work).  Some of them (like
QuicKeys, Pyro! and CheapBeep) are also loaded in as INITs at boot-up.

                       "On the other hand, it takes real moral fiber to
                        remain a Republican when there's no money in it.
                        And things *are* looking grim on the financial
                        front.  Even worse for the President, they're
                        getting confusing."
                                        -- A. Whitney Brown

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (01/30/88)

in article <797@aucs.UUCP>, peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) says:

> I got an INIT called CheapBeep off the net but what does it do?
> Its icon appears on the screen during boot up, but the Mac's beep
> is still a beep. What do I do to make Cheapbeep do its stuff?

What you need are sound files from which CheapBeep can generate a
sound.  Like CheapBeep, sound files are available in the public domain.
There are literally dozens of them.  One of the Macs at my office,
for example, startles people by saying "Game over, man" instead of
beeping.

If you have a selection of sound files, CheapBeep will randomly pick one
to use whenever it needs a beep.  Your best source is probably the big
users groups, such as BMUG or the Boston Computer Society, which maintain
big collections of public domain software.  Some companies, such as
EDUCOMP, also sell PD stuff.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai