[comp.sys.mac] FullWrite Professional and Memory

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (01/25/88)

>In article <174400096@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu>, dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>> Their ad in Mac{User,World} claims it runs on a 512E.  Is this a lie?

In the documentation, they mention that it runs on "a Mac 512K enhanced with
a memory upgrade of at least a megabyte."

I believe they meant to emphasize that it runs with the old ROMs; but the
tail end of that sentance is rather important. :-)

                            It's safe to vote for Gary Hart, but only if you
                            wear a condom.

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (01/29/88)

Lee Atchison (atchison@hpindda.HP.COM) writes:
|>In the documentation, they mention that it runs on "a Mac 512K enhanced with
|>a memory upgrade of at least a megabyte."
|
|The 512k enhanced has the new ROMs, what it doesn't have is the 1MByte of
|memory and the SCSI port.

Actually I think the quote from the documentation should be parsed as "(a
Mac 512K) (enhanced with a memory upgrade of at least a megabyte)."  In
other words, a Mac with the old ROMs that has at least 1.5Meg of memory
(the original 512K plus the 1Meg upgrade).

Note that this is just my interpretation of the statetment above and what I've
heard in other articles.  This shouldn't be considered an official statement of
anybody.

--
Brian L. Matthews                               "A power tool is not a toy.
...{mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!blm          Unix is a power tool."

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (01/30/88)

in article <6500009@hpindda.HP.COM>, atchison@hpindda.HP.COM (Lee Atchison) says:

>>In the documentation, they mention that it runs on "a Mac 512K enhanced with
>>a memory upgrade of at least a megabyte."
>>
> The 512k enhanced has the new ROMs, what it doesn't have is the 1MByte of
>
> Maybe they should have said "doesn't require a SCSI port to run".
>
> Based on the comments I've heard about the size of this program, you need
> a hard disk to use it effectively.  Therefore you really DO need a SCSI
> port after all:-)

Well, my old Mac (read that, first 90 days ...) has an HD 20, which was
purchased for full price when they first came out.  FullWrite runs better on
that machine because it has 2 Meg RAM than it does on my Mac Plus with a
SCSI drive (the Plus has only 1 Meg).

So, yes, you really do need a hard drive, but the memory seems to be far
more critical.  If I increase FullWrite's memory portion to about 1300K,
I can run MultiFinder and FullWrite, which still gives me access to the
desktop to create folders, etc.

By the way, I've been using the program fairly extensively, with lots of
graphics, over the past 10 days, and haven't crashed it yet.  It's
speedy enough and seems very solid, especially for a gamma.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
ihnp4!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop or allegra!stech!sysop

	Miscellaneous profundity:

		"No matter where you go, there you are."
				Buckaroo Banzai