[comp.sys.mac] Comments on Canvas requested

lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Leonard Hamey) (01/30/88)

Has anyone had any experience with Canvas? Is it good, not only for art-work
but also for technical diagrams? I note that it has macros. Do these make it
easy to set up graph axes and things like that?

Leonard Hamey			Computer Science Dept.
lgh@cs.cmu.edu			Carnegie Mellon University
<Substitute your favourite disclaimer here>

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (;;;;YF37) (01/31/88)

In article <764@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Leonard Hamey) writes:

>Has anyone had any experience with Canvas? Is it good, not only for art-work
>but also for technical diagrams? I note that it has macros. Do these make it
>easy to set up graph axes and things like that?

I've used Canvas for a while now, and I like it.  I've used it for technical
diagrams, mixing both bitmap and object-oriented pictures.  I really like the
variable expand/shrink feature that lets you work at any expansion/shrinkage
factor.  It does work on a Mac II and does support the original 8 Macintosh
colors.

I've use the macro capability a bit, only to save something I use alot.  I don't
know about using them for graph axes, unless they are all the same, or at least
scaleable.

Canvas is not with problems, though.  Switching between object-oriented and
bitmap is a little tedious, and while working on a bitmap image, it seems to
switch back to object-oriented mode somewhat unpredictably.  The version I
have (1.02, I think) has some bugs, but hopefully they'll be fixed in the
next version.

Edward Moy
Workstation Software Support Group
University of California