[comp.sys.mac] PostScript Programming

bill@hao.ucar.edu (Bill Roberts) (01/22/88)

Does anyone in this news group know of any software that allows interactive
PostScript programming on the Mac?  I'm primarily interested in a system that
can be used as a PostScript learning environment as well as possible PostScript
function prototyping.  Thanks in advance for any info on this subject.

--Bill

UUCP: {hplabs, seismo, nbires, noao}!hao!bill
CSNET: bill@ncar.csnet
ARPA: bill%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
INTERNET: bill@hao.ucar.edu

  "... the Eagle Wing palace of the Queen Chinee'"

rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) (01/22/88)

I hear that there's a new package out from Emerald City Software that allows
interactive PostScript software development, complete with debugging.

I don't remember the name, but it was announced at MacWorld.

		--Rich

han@apple.UUCP (-- Byron B. Han --) (01/24/88)

In article <UVxqEOy00Xc2g-416U@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) writes:

>I hear that there's a new package out from Emerald City Software that allows
>interactive PostScript software development, complete with debugging.
>
>I don't remember the name, but it was announced at MacWorld.

I got their brochure.  The product name is Lasertalk (tm - Emerald City SW)
from Emerald City Software.  Their phone number is 415-368-8303.

It provides (according to the literature)

Line by line interaction with PS executive
Real time display of PS stacks/variables
On screen previewing of the PS image
Multiwindow editor (w/o limit on size), auto format
Realtime PS debugger w/tracing, stepping, and breakpoints
Dictionary browser
Online access to PS operator descriptions
+ 150 page manual.

This is directly from the brochure.  I have not used it.

This information is provided for informational purposes only.  This is
not an official Apple endorsement or review.

Hope this helps.  It looks REALLY neat.  Finally a REAL PS development
environment!

--
------------------------ Byron Han,  Communications Tool ----------------------
     Apple Computer, Inc.  20525 Mariani Ave, MS 27Y  Cupertino, CA 95014

han@apple.UUCP (-- Byron B. Han --) (01/24/88)

sorry - forgot some stuff.  price is suggested retail price $249
and is copy protected.  Non copy protected version available upon return
of registration card.

--

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (01/25/88)

In article <1100@hao.ucar.edu> bill@hao.ucar.edu (Bill Roberts) writes:
>Does anyone in this news group know of any software that allows interactive
>PostScript programming on the Mac?  I'm primarily interested in a system that
>can be used as a PostScript learning environment as well as possible PostScript
>function prototyping.  Thanks in advance for any info on this subject.

There's a freebee PS downloading tool from Adobe which is fairly primitve
but will do the job.  It's called PS Dump, and it's the companion program to
their Downloader (for fonts).

There's also something called Postscript Tool floating around many BBSs.  It
allows multiple windows, downloading of your PS files and capturing of anything
the LaserWriter puts on it's standard output (i.e., not just error messages --
you can, for example, get a list of all the fonts in the LaserWriter by
typing "FontDirectory { pop = } forall".  The output is collected in a TextEdit
window and you can even save it in a file.

According to the docs, it's an early freeware version of a much more extensive
Postscript programming tool.  I've used it a couple of times and it works
well enough (better than Adobe's).

If there's any general interest in it, let me know and I'll see what I can
do via e-mail or comp.binaries.mac (it's only about 12k).

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (01/25/88)

In article <7256@apple.UUCP> han@apple.UUCP (-- Byron B. Han --) writes:
>In article <UVxqEOy00Xc2g-416U@andrew.cmu.edu> rs4u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel) writes:
>It provides (according to the literature)
>
>Line by line interaction with PS executive
>Real time display of PS stacks/variables
>On screen previewing of the PS image
>Multiwindow editor (w/o limit on size), auto format
>Realtime PS debugger w/tracing, stepping, and breakpoints
>Dictionary browser
>Online access to PS operator descriptions
>+ 150 page manual.
>
>This is directly from the brochure.  I have not used it.
	It also works by attaching a LaserWriter, downloading some
stuff to it, and running your program in the LaserWriter.  Preview is
by uploading bits from the LaserWriter to the mac.  It's a little slow
but not painful.  The debugging stuff looks real neat though.

>This information is provided for informational purposes only.  This is
>not an official Apple endorsement or review.
	Ditto.
--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

wrp@biochsn.acc.virginia.edu (William R. Pearson) (01/26/88)

>	LaserTalk, from Emerald City Software, is an interactive PostScript
>development package, that shows on-screen displays of the results of your
>PostScript code, and also allows you to debug your code at a high level
>(source-level and symbolically).

	This program apparently talks to the laserwriter, then displays
the results on the screen.  But my laserwriter is attached to a Unix
host, and I would really like to be able to write postscript, check
the results on my screen, and then send it to the host.  Any ideas?

Bill Pearson
wrp@virginia.EDU

fons@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/27/88)

Note that there was a full postscript screen interpreter posted
on the net about two months back or so.  It was in comp.sources.misc
or a unix based source group.  It was written for suns but the
graphic calls were localized into a small section of code that
could be customized for the Mac with quickdraw calls.  As some of
the interpreter itself is written in postscript, speed is not one
of its strong points but it does work (only tried on a sun).
				    Paul Fons  Fons@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
.

gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) (01/28/88)

In article <305@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>There's a freebee PS downloading tool from Adobe which is fairly primitve
>but will do the job.  It's called PS Dump, and it's the companion program to
>their Downloader (for fonts).
>   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,

    Not to be too picky but I don't believe the PS Dump utility is from
Adobe Systems, Inc. The utility which has been made available from Adobe
is called SendPS and offers the capability to download PostScript files
to a PostScript printer on an AppleTalk network. It also logs messages coming
back from the printer during the download into a log file on disk for
later examination.

David Gelphman
Adobe Systems, Inc.

mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) (02/01/88)

>It looks REALLY neat.

I played with it at MacWorld and really enjoyed it.

The only problem I saw was that it does not have a Postscript
interpreter built in and so it connects to an actual laserwriter do all
the Postscript.  It seems to work just fine, but it does tie up
(== other people can't use) the laserwriter while you are debugging your
program.

Social pressure might force you to buy your own laserwriter ("OK, twist
my arm") or do your work at night.

Mike