[comp.sys.mac] FrameMaker vs Fullwrite

calvin@iconsys.UUCP (Calvin Hamilton) (01/29/88)

Does anyone know of a software called FrameMaker?
I have heard rumor that it exists for the Mac, but
have never seen any information on it.  How does it
compare to Fullwrite?  I would appreciate any information
anyone has on this application.

Thanks,

--
Calvin Hamilton		    {ihnp4,uunet}!iconsys!calvin
Icon International, Inc.    {ihnp4,psivax}!nrcvax!nrc-ut!iconsys!calvin

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (01/30/88)

>Does anyone know of a software called FrameMaker?

FrameMaker is a product on the Sun Workstation.

>I have heard rumor that it exists for the Mac, but
>have never seen any information on it.  How does it
>compare to Fullwrite?  I would appreciate any information
>anyone has on this application.

Rumor has it that a Macintosh version is in the works, but it isn't
announced nor, to my knowledge, has it been shown or demoed to anyone.

If it is like the Sun FrameMaker I'm not sure I'd compare it to fullwrite --
it is more in the class of Ready, Set, Go!, PageMaker and Interleaf as a
layout/publishing system than simply a high-power Word Processor.

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                       What do you mean 'You don't really want to hurt her?'
                                    I'm a Super-Villain! That's my Schtick!

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (01/31/88)

In article <195@iconsys.UUCP>, calvin@iconsys.UUCP (Calvin Hamilton) writes:
> Does anyone know of a software called FrameMaker?
> I have heard rumor that it exists for the Mac, but
> have never seen any information on it.  How does it
> compare to Fullwrite?  I would appreciate any information
> anyone has on this application.
>
> Thanks,

By FrameMaker, do you mean the program that runs on Suns/Apollos
under their windowing unix environments?

If so, there were some rumors that the company that developed it
was going to port it to the Mac, but that was the last I ever
heard about it.  I used it on a Sun about a year ago and it seemed
to be okay (I liked it a little better than MS Word 3.01), but I
didn't like it near as much then as I like FWP right now (pre-release
version shipped to early subscribers).  The interface didn't seem
as clean to me, but I feel that way about almost everything I've seen
on the Sun as compared to a properly done Mac application (Excel
qualifies, Word 3.01 doesn't).

Just my personal opinions.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (02/01/88)

In article <195@iconsys.UUCP> calvin@iconsys.UUCP (Calvin Hamilton) writes:
>Does anyone know of a software called FrameMaker?
>I have heard rumor that it exists for the Mac, but
>have never seen any information on it.  How does it
>compare to Fullwrite?

FrameMaker is a WYSWIG editor for the Sun Workstations; as far as I know, it
is not available for the Mac.  A lengthy comparison would be... lengthy;
they have quite a few similarities, but FrameMaker has more options for page
layout (connecting text rectangles, as one would in ReadySetGo!), while
FullWrite has more bibliographical features -- easier footnotes, endnotes,
indexes and table-of-contents.

Frankly, I love FrameMaker on my Sun at work; but if the FullWrite demo disk
is any indication, I think FullWrite will be the superior word processor
(FrameMaker would be a superior page layout program).

                        "Here's the holiday schedule for Monday's
                         observation of Martin Luther King Jr.'s birthday,
                         when the following will be closed:

                         - Governmental offices
                         - Post offices
                         - Libraries
                         - Schools
                         - Banks
                         - Parts of Palm Beach

                         and the mind of Senator Jesse Helms of North
                         Carolina."
                                                -Dennis Miller

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...