[comp.sys.mac] Tempo vs. Quickkey

fons@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/27/88)

A friend of mine is thinking of getting some software for his upcoming
birthday and requested me to post a question for him on the net.  He just
bought a Mac II a while ago with the extended keyboard and he wants to
purchase a program that will let him assign macros to these keys.  He has
heard of two programs Tempo and Quickkeys (I think I have the names right).
Could anyone with comments mail me them so I can pass them on.  Thanks in
advance.

       U.S  Mail:		Paul Fons
				Univerity of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
				Coordinated Science Laboratory
				1101 W. Springfield
				Urbana, Illinois 61801 (207)-333-7080

Internet:  Fons@vmd.cso.uiuc.edu or Fons@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
Bitnet:    Fons@uiucvmd
CSnet:     Fons%vmd@uiuc.csnet  Fons%uxe@uiuc.csnet
UUCP:      [ihnp4,uunet]!uiucuxc!fons@vmd  [ihnp4,uunet]!uiucuxc!uiucuxe!fons

changwoo@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Chang Woo) (01/31/88)

In article <46100066@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, fons@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> A friend of mine is thinking of getting some software for his upcoming
> birthday and requested me to post a question for him on the net.  He just
> bought a Mac II a while ago with the extended keyboard and he wants to
> purchase a program that will let him assign macros to these keys.  He has
> heard of two programs Tempo and Quickkeys (I think I have the names right).
> Could anyone with comments mail me them so I can pass them on.  Thanks in
> advance.

I've used both, and particularly happy with QuicKeys.  Tempo is
strong in one part. It is very nice in creating a macro since it
has loops and conditional branches, but the user interface is
horrible. First, it takes up about 5-6 DA slots. I had a chance
of using that program before Suitcase, so it was very
intimidating. Also, Tempo cannot be moved using Font/DA mover:
you have to use "tempo installer" which comes with the program.
However, QuicKeys is very good product. It is in a form of
cdev/init which seems to be very popular nowadays; i.e., it sets
itself like init so whenever you turn on the computer, it turns
itself on, and also being a cdev, you have control over it using
control panel. It uses the new hierarchical menu inside Control
Panel, so I don't think it is compatible with old 64k ROM.  You
can assign desk accessory, menu choice, mouse movement, and lots
of other things from it. It also has a convenient date stamp.
Since I use Apple Extended Keyboard, calling up Disktop, etc.
from function keys is pure pleasure. Nevertheless, there are
somethings I don't like from it. It cannot handle a complex macro
like Tempo can create, and it doesn't recognize the "reset" key
in ADB keyboard. Otherwise, it is a great product, and I can
recommend it fully.  One thing to mention, I used Tempo 1.1, but
I heard there is a new product called Tempo II. Since I haven't
used it, I cannot tell how good it is.

Hope it helps,
Chang

| changwoo@eleazar.dartmouth.edu                                |
| "When all else fails, read the instruction."                  |
|                      -- Ancient Chinese Proverb               |

mkg@lzsc.ATT.COM (Marsh Gosnell) (02/01/88)

The original Tempo took up two (not 5-6) DA slots.  It did have it's
own installer but Tempo II does away with all that.

Tempo II installs as an INIT (drag it into your system folder and
reboot).  It has a bunch of new features (I wish I could remember them
all) such as playing a macro by name that Quickeys doesn't.
  Marsh Gosnell