[comp.sys.mac] COLOR GRAPHICS on mac-II

jezebel@ut-emx.UUCP (Jim Del) (01/28/88)

***PLEASE MAIL RESPONSES TO ME DIRECTLY, IF POSSIBLE***
Hi there,
I am looking for a simple program which draws a 2-d color map on the Mac-II.
I have data in the form x,y,c; where c is the number to be color-coded.
I have never programmed on the mac-II before and all input regarding the
feasibility and execution of this "job" is welcome !!
Thanks,
Jim (Delaney)
PLEASE MAIL RESPONSES TO ME DIRECTLY, IF POSSIBLE.

wishart@bnl.ARPA (james wishart) (01/31/88)

I think a lot of people would like to know about a program to display (x,y,z) data in color coded maps, so please also post your responses to the net.
Thanks,

Jim Wishart
Department of Chemistry
Brookhaven National Laboratory
(516) 282-4327

mjlarsen@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Michael J. Larsen) (02/02/88)

In article <323@bnl.ARPA> wishart@bnl.UUCP (james wishart) writes:

>I think a lot of people would like to know about a program to display (x,y,z) data in color coded maps, so please also post your responses to the net.
>Thanks,

Why not just set a character pointer variable "screen" to the upper left
hand corner of the screen and treat the screen as a long array?
E.g. screen = thePort->portBits.baseAddr (or something like that),
*(screen + y * 1024L + x) = color.  Note that on the MacII, each line is
1024 pixels wide (the rightmost 384 being off the screen).  Moreover,
all the data for a single pixel is clumped together.  Thus, for
instance, in 16 color mode, screen memory is arranged with two pixels
per byte, rather than in 4 separate planes with 8 quarter-pixels per
byte.

							-Michael Larsen