[comp.sys.mac] FullWrite Frustrations

egv@aicchi.UUCP (Vann) (01/29/88)

Jeff, thanks so very much for responding to the comments I made concerning
FullWrite Professional. I like an awful lot of others (including yourself)
are anxious to see this product become a hit. I only hope that the folks
at Ann Arbor can catch something of the dialogue being conducted in this
forum at put our worthwhile suggestions to good use.

Let me respond with a few challenges:

        - First, I continue to believe that the issue of the side bar
          will give many a hearty word processing veteran a moments
          pause. The concept will prove to be 'new' and its application
          for doing things such as running three columns on a page begun
          in two column mode will take some time to envision. It appears
          however that you have more than a headstart on the field.

          Having come out of a typesetting background, I was at least
          familar with the term. It however took a bit of 'supposin' to
          allow myself to understand sidebars as another name for things
          like endnotes, footnotes, posted notes, etc.

          Acutally, this is a point that really can't be argued, on the
          experiences of hundreds of people will bear our either of our
          theses, or perhaps neither.

        - Secondly, I must have been rather vague in my explanation of
          what I intended when speaking of unbalanced three (or more)
          column documents, being 'trivial' in Word.

          Let me begin by stating that I had in mind a TABLE that I had
          created usig the side-by-side column method. Each column was
          defined with a style sheet. In each style sheet I would specify
          the left and right margins of the column, its type characteris-
          tics, declare each to be a side-by-side paragraph and indicate
          if and where vertical rules are to be printed.

          The last thing you do is indicate that each columns style sheet
          is to be followed by the next column's style sheet, ending with
          the last column referencing the first.

          It's a clever way of doing things, which was shown to me by a
          colleague. It works well and does NOT require using the PREVIEW
          screen as you mentioned in order to determine alignment.

        - In answer to your question about the EPSF document being pasted
          into a sidebar, I don't know as yet. But I will try this and
          report to you later.

        - The slowness, that I found was NOT in the scrolling of the
          drawing once as it appeared on the logical page. But working
          with it in a open drawing window, is where the slowness results.
          I may have mentioned that you should always paste your images
          into the sidebar only when you have no drawing window open. This
          works best and is fast. In other words, DO NOT use the NEW PICT
          function (or whatever its called) just open a sidebar and paste
          in your graphic immediately. You do not and should not open a
          drawing window, unless you have time to burn.

--
				Eric Geoffrey Vann
				Analysts International (Chicago Branch)

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (02/02/88)

>Jeff, thanks so very much for responding to the comments I made concerning
>FullWrite Professional. I like an awful lot of others (including yourself)
>are anxious to see this product become a hit. I only hope that the folks
>at Ann Arbor can catch something of the dialogue being conducted in this
>forum at put our worthwhile suggestions to good use.

I think they have been; they called me up a week ago -- said they had seen
Chuq and my articles and asked if I had any further suggestions to add (I
did, but emphasized which ones I thought needed to be in by the release, and
which ones could wait until a later release).  I suspect that if they've
seen mine, they've probably read yours (I hope they have); I'd really like
to have a choice at release time about whether a new chapter causes a page
break or not (this may be tougher than I thought, if all the virtual memory
software is based on a chapter-by-chapter scheme).  Also, one of the nice
things about the Word spelling checker is the "check-mark" button that
allows you to check a word you typed in to replace the mis-spelled word; I
don't believe the Microlytics checker allows that.

Regarding the challanges, I think that most of them boil down to different
personal preferences on our parts.  I don't come from a typesetting
background, so I associated the word "sidebars' with those funny
lime-colored boxes you always see in NEWSWEEK and such; it's a pretty
free-format concept to me, but I could see how it could be confusing to
folks who associate "sidebar" with a very well-defined typesetting
structure.

As to creating a table, I see how you could prefer that in MS Word format
over FullWrite, especially if you use the in-table calculation abilities
Word has (these have always seemed rather useless to me -- I import them
from Excel and leave it at that).  For myself, I prefer FullWrite's WYSWIG
method of opening three sidebars as "columns", each with a particular style
sheet, and then placing these "column" sidebars into another, wider sidebar.
Voila... a table.  That is by far the easier method to me, but.... your
mileage may vary.

As to speed problems in general, I think there is a lot of that in the demo
-- most of the virtual memory functionality ain't there.  HOWEVER, from
everything I've heard from people with gamma and new betas, doing heavy-duty
word-processing AND having 1 Meg of memory is going to be clumsy.  You can
get by with a meg and do work in FW, but getting access to DAs (unless
you're in MultiFinder, which means you've got at least 2 Megs anyway) can be
rough.  This isn't a complaint on my part; in several ways, this is a more
powerful program than FrameMaker (and a less powerful program in others),
and that kind of ability costs in hardware.  But those buying it should
realize that to use FullWrite to its full abilities, you're going to need
more than 1 Meg of RAM (in my opinion).

Thanks for the comments, Eric.

PS:  The rumor that FullWrite will read in MS Word 3.01 files at release
     time appears to be confirmed.  The lack of Word 3.01 compatibility
     would have been a major stumbling block in FW marketing; as long as the
     released version is relatively bug-free (and out before May), they are
     really going to be tough to beat (especially when the 2-Meg SE with
     a 40MB drive come out -- they're just MADE for FW).

PPS: Has anyone had a chance to play with the $90 beta version of
     WordPerfect?  A friend of mine bought it, and of late has been swearing
     a blue streak about the number of bugs (I replied "Why do you think
     they call it a beta version?" and almost had a pillow shoved down my
     throat).  She says, however, that it has a very nice user interface.

                        "The following is not for the weak of heart or
                         Fundamentalists."

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

kfr@zippy.eecs.umich.edu (Karl F. Ruehr) (02/03/88)

In article <1005@aicchi.UUCP>, egv@aicchi.UUCP writes:

> . . . I only hope that the folks
> at Ann Arbor can catch something of the dialogue being conducted in this
> forum at put our worthwhile suggestions to good use.

  I have forwarded (much of) the comments on this net to some people
at Ann Arbor SoftWorks.  I can't promise they will read them ALL (they
seem to have some coding or something keeping them busy :-), but they
expressed an interest and accepted a copy of the material.  They will
probably NOT be responding to questions, so don't address any to me ....

  --  Fritz Ruehr   (kfr@zippy.eecs.umich.edu)