[comp.sys.mac] Bug in 9

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Cooley) (01/30/88)

Yes, I know that this version is a beta version, but since someone on the
net had said how virtually flawless it was, I'd post my finding here.

It seems that no matter what I do, I can't get the Kermit to emulate
Even parity.  The IBM 3081 here at U. of Texas is very fussy and its
front-end converter (ASCII to to EBCDIC) requires EVEN and EVEN ONLY
(its caps).

I've tried everything, setting the parity in "Communications..."
outright, changing them, saving them to a Settings file and double
clicking on the settings file...

Does anyone know when the next update to this version will be?  The
support of the new keyboards is only one of my favorite features.

Thanks in advance!

					--chris

eckhgb@atrium.UUCP (Gary B Eckhardt) (02/01/88)

> Yes, I know that this version is a beta version, but since someone on the
> net had said how virtually flawless it was, I'd post my finding here.
>
> It seems that no matter what I do, I can't get the Kermit to emulate
> Even parity.  The IBM 3081 here at U. of Texas is very fussy and its
> front-end converter (ASCII to to EBCDIC) requires EVEN and EVEN ONLY
> (its caps).

Chris:

  Your problem might not be in the terminal program at all.  Down here
at UTSA we have problems with that front-end converter when we try
to run Kermit in Yale-Ansi VT100 emulation.  To use kermit, we must go
to LINE mode (Yeeeck!) to do a file transfer.  I'm not sure how
ya'll are set up there, but I have heard that this is a common
problem (Matter of fact, some genius up there FIXED the problem, and
we're waiting on him to send the update on the controlling software
for that front-end Micom!)

Try going to line mode and then transferring.  It might help.

As far as the next update on the Kermit, I dunno.  Anyone check
CUVMA lately?

                                  --Gary

USENET: gatech!petro!atrium!eckhgb                   "Thanks to modern caffeine,BITNET: account under construction                    sleep is now optional!"
DECNET: UTSA80::CS475301013

~.

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Cooley) (02/03/88)

In article <194@atrium.UUCP>, eckhgb@atrium.UUCP (Gary B Eckhardt) writes:
> > Yes, I know that this version is a beta version, but since someone on the
> > net had said how virtually flawless it was, I'd post my finding here.
> >
> > It seems that no matter what I do, I can't get the Kermit to emulate
> > Even parity.  The IBM 3081 here at U. of Texas is very fussy and its
> > front-end converter (ASCII to to EBCDIC) requires EVEN and EVEN ONLY
> > (its caps).
> >

> Chris:
>
>   Your problem might not be in the terminal program at all.  Down here
> at UTSA we have problems with that front-end converter when we try
> to run Kermit in Yale-Ansi VT100 emulation.
>
> Try going to line mode and then transferring.  It might help.
>
> As far as the next update on the Kermit, I dunno.  Anyone check
> CUVMA lately?
>
>                                   --Gary

Well, the other Kermits work perfectly.  This includes the not-so-famous
version 35 and of course the 34 version.

I still think it's the new (36) kermit.

      /---------------------------------v------------------------------\
     (    J. Chris Cooley 		|[mailpaths under construction]	)
    ((    Univ. of Texas Comp. Center	|     jcc@ut-emx.UUCP        	))
    ((    Austin, TX  78712		|     jcc@emx.cc.utexas.edu  	))
     (    512/471-3241 x417		|	            		)
      \---------------------------------^------------------------------/
	\Disclaimer:  You think THEY agree with THESE opinions?  Hah!/
	  \--------------------------------------------------------/

********* Blame Vnews/Inews for this extra cost, net gods! **************

In article <719@ut-emx.UUCP>, jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (I) writes/wrote:
> [important Kermit stuff deleted, leaving something resembling:]

> ********* Blame Vnews/Inews for this extra cost, net gods! **************

Before the flames come across from dateline to dateline, let me apologize
for the way this came out.  It seems that even though the coffee was brewing
at the time, it wasn't yet affecting my weary senses and still-asleep
attitude inhibitors.

Please continue to read my posts and keep me out of your kill files.  :-)

					--chris

	"For every difficult problem, there is a solution that
	 is simple, neat, and wrong..."
				-- H. L. Menken