[comp.sys.mac] Wrapping up the toolbox

lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Leonard Hamey) (01/21/88)

Well, I've made it through 1.5 volumes of Macintosh Revealed and I can't get
over the impression that using the toolbox is like playing with Lego (tm) ---
there are lots of bricks to be put together to build any one useful thing.
For example: to implement scrolling windows you have to load up and position
the scroll bars, fix 'em when the window zooms (I think), detect all the
events pertaining to the scroll bars and dispatch them, etc.

Now, while Macintosh Revealed contains an example program (in Pascal, yet ---
and I am a C hacker) such examples just provide a shell into which you pack
your own dispatch stuff. So... my question... has anyone written some
facilities to wrap up the toolbox into even higher-level interfaces? Like
automatically taking care of desk accessories, handling scrolled windows, etc?
It seems like a logical thing to do, so I figured before trying it I should
find out whether it already exists. Anyone got such a beast? In C even?

Leonard Hamey			Computer Science Dept.
lgh@cs.cmu.edu			Carnegie Mellon University
<Substitute your favourite disclaimer here>

palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (01/21/88)

In article <687@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Leonard Hamey) writes:
>... my question... has anyone written some
>facilities to wrap up the toolbox into even higher-level interfaces? Like
>automatically taking care of desk accessories, handling scrolled windows, etc?
>It seems like a logical thing to do, so I figured before trying it I should
>find out whether it already exists. Anyone got such a beast? In C even?

Transkel, Transdisplay, Transedit, are packages of C routines to automatically
do almost everything that needs to be done in most programs.  (Windows, DAs
scroll bars, etc.)

Trans* are written by Paul Dubois of U. Of Wisconsin (sp?) at Madison.  It is
public domain, (not shareware, not even unlimited distribution copyright)
and available on Sumex.  After never using it before, it took me less than
three hours to write a program with windows and menus.

There also exists a version for Pascal, also on sumex.

		David Palmer
		palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu
		...rutgers!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!palmer
	"Every day it's the same thing--variety.  I want something different."

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (01/22/88)

In article <687@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Leonard Hamey) writes:
>Now, while Macintosh Revealed contains an example program (in Pascal, yet ---
>and I am a C hacker) such examples just provide a shell into which you pack
>your own dispatch stuff. So... my question... has anyone written some
>facilities to wrap up the toolbox into even higher-level interfaces? Like
>automatically taking care of desk accessories, handling scrolled windows, etc?
>It seems like a logical thing to do, so I figured before trying it I should
>find out whether it already exists. Anyone got such a beast? In C even?

Sounds like you want either TransSkel (for C or Pascal), or -- if you want
to go whole hog -- MacApp, which does lovely object-oriented things to boot.
For MacApp, you need MPW, MPW Pascal and $$$.  For TransSkel you need access
to any major bulletin board, where you'll probably find it in the programmers'
SIG.

MacApp, of course, is far more sophisticated and powerful.  I've done a little
with TransSkel, and you can definitely have DAs, scrolling text, dialog boxes,
etc. up and running with very little coding on your part.  I've never used
MacApp, but it does *at least* as much for you.

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

hannon@clio.las.uiuc.edu (01/22/88)

lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU( Leonard Hamey ) comp.sys.mac

>Now, while Macintosh Revealed contains an example program (in Pascal, yet ---
>and I am a C hacker) such examples just provide a shell into which you pack
>your own dispatch stuff. So... my question... has anyone written some
>facilities to wrap up the toolbox into even higher-level interfaces? Like
>automatically taking care of desk accessories, handling scrolled windows, etc?
>It seems like a logical thing to do, so I figured before trying it I should
>find out whether it already exists. Anyone got such a beast? In C even?

	I would suggest taht you look into the "Programmer's Extenders" from
Invention Software Technologies of Ann Arbor Michigan.  There are two volumes
of the Extender, the first deals with the higher-level interface for standard
functins that you desire..ie. Handling of DA's, scrolling of either Text or
graphics, handling of text (TE), all window and menu activities, and a whole
lot more....  Volume two contains additional routines for more advanced topiccs
such as File I/O, Printing, the List Manager, extended text routines, etc.
	The two volumes are approx. $50-60 a piece, and the companies address
and phone number is available in any of the mac Mags..

( Disclaimer: I helped write parts of volume II and am theirfore a bit biased
in my opinion of this product )

+                                   |                                      +
+  Leonard Rosenthol                |  USnail:   205 E. Healey  #33        +
+  Halevai Software                 |            Champaign, Il  61820      +
+  GEnie: MACgician                 |                                      +
+  ARPA:  hannon@clio.las.uiuc.edu  |  Bitnet:   3FLOSDQ@UIUCNOSA.BITNET   +
+  {ihnp4|convex|pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!hannon                               +
+ Disclaimer #1: Since I own the company, I can say whatever I want, and   +
+                not be responsible for it!                                +
+                                                                          +
+ Disclaimer #2: Anything I say may be construed as being under the        +
+                jurisdiction of Disclaimer #1                             +

smethers@psu-cs.UUCP (01/24/88)

In article <687@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Leonard Hamey) writes:
>                         So... my question... has anyone written some
>facilities to wrap up the toolbox into even higher-level interfaces? Like
>automatically taking care of desk accessories, handling scrolled windows, etc?
>It seems like a logical thing to do, so I figured before trying it I should
>find out whether it already exists. Anyone got such a beast? In C even?

We have just announced Prototyper shipping for the Macintosh with code
generation (currently only in Pascal, but a 'C' version is soon to follow).
See my other posting announcement for information on Prototyper.

Prototyper helps you in several ways (even if you program in 'C').  First off,
it will generate resouces for all of the Macintosh interface items (including
icons, controls, dialogs, alerts, and windows).  This is valuable by itself.
Secondly, it generates code (in Pascal) that you can reference as a 'C'
programmer to see how your interface is implemented in Pascal for a translation.

The benefits are that you can create your entire user interface in a couple
of hours, and the output you get is completely customized to your designs.

Paul Smethers
SmethersBarnes

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (01/25/88)

In article <5259@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (David Palmer) writes:
>Trans* are written by Paul Dubois of U. Of Wisconsin (sp?) at Madison.  It is
>public domain, (not shareware, not even unlimited distribution copyright)
>and available on Sumex.  After never using it before, it took me less than
>three hours to write a program with windows and menus.
>
>There also exists a version for Pascal, also on sumex.

Could someone post the pascal TransStuff to comp.sources.mac?

Thanks in advance,
Jason Haines, President

Club Mac Macintosh Users Group, Sydney, Australia
Phone Home: +61-2-73-4444
Snail:      Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
ACSnet:     clubmac@runx.ips.oz	   ARPA:   clubmac%runx.ips.oz@uunet.uu.net
UUCP:{enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,uunet,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.ips.oz!clubmac

lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Leonard Hamey) (01/28/88)

For those who wonder what the answers are...

	1)	TRANSEDIT, TRANSSKEL and TRANSDISPLAY
		available in LSC and Pascal for ftp from SUMEX-AIM.
		(I got these)
	2)	MacApp under MPW.
	3)	MacExpress from AlSoft
	4)	Programmer's Extender from Invention Software

I haven't had a chance to try 'em yet, but reviews indicate that MacApp
is the most complete while TRANS... is free (or is it shareware...I haven't
looked everywhere a notice might be hidden yet :-) ).

craig@comp.lancs.ac.uk (Craig) (01/29/88)

In article <732@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> lgh@IUS2.CS.CMU.EDU (Leonard Hamey) writes:
>For those who wonder what the answers are...
>
>	1)	TRANSEDIT, TRANSSKEL and TRANSDISPLAY
>		available in LSC and Pascal for ftp from SUMEX-AIM.
>		(I got these)

As we in europe can't get any/easy access to SUMEX or whatever would it
be possible to post these to comp.mac.binaries ?  How about mailing them
directly to me and I will make them available to uk/european users.

Craig.

--
UUCP:	 ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!craig| Post: University of Lancaster,
DARPA:	 craig%lancs.comp@ucl-cs          |	  Department of Computing,

omh@nancy (Owen M. Hartnett) (02/04/88)

In article <1348@runx.ips.oz> clubmac@runx.OZ (Macintosh Users Group - Sydney, Australia) writes:
>In article <5259@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu.UUCP (David Palmer) writes:
>>Trans* are written by Paul Dubois of U. Of Wisconsin (sp?) at Madison.  It is
>>public domain, (not shareware, not even unlimited distribution copyright)
>>and available on Sumex.  After never using it before, it took me less than
>>three hours to write a program with windows and menus.
>>
>>There also exists a version for Pascal, also on sumex.
>>

>Could someone post the pascal TransStuff to comp.sources.mac?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Jason Haines, President

I did the port from C to Pascal for TransSkel.  It was sent to the moderator
well over a year ago.  Last I heard (~9 months ago?) was he had all the parts.

There's a new release of both C and Pascal versions coming out soon.

I don't think it's worthwhile to attempt to post it to comp.sources.mac
so when it's available I'll post an alternative way to get it.

Several people have sent me mail asking for it, but my mailer didn't get
through to them.

Owen Hartnett
Brown University Computer Science

omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
omh%cs.brown.edu@relay.cs.net-relay.ARPA
{ihnp4,allegra}!brunix!omh

"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."
			-W.C. Fields