[comp.sys.mac] no double clicks??

broe@ur-tut.UUCP (Eric Brown) (02/03/88)

In article <966@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> sdy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Sea Lance) writes:
>I have a 512ke (upgraded from a 128 via Dr Dobbs, apple) with finder 5.5 and
>system 4.2 and an external 800k drive. The version of Word that I have used to
>fire up just fine by double clicking on the document under my old system/finder
>(f4.5, s3.1 ?? its been awhile) but now I noticed that I either have to select
>both word and the doc or just dbl-click word and open the doc. Do I have
>something set up wrong or does the newer system/finders no longer support the
>double clicks??

We have the same problem - though, we have narrowed down the problem a little
more.  The problem seems to be either finder 5.5 or greater or system 4.2
or greater running on anything less than a Mac II.  I know personally, I am
using finder 6.0 with system 4.2 on a 1meg SE and have the same problem.
The problem, I believe, is not with Word, it is the program you ran before-
Word.  (perhaps some INITed file)  Here at work, we are developing an
application for the Mac with Lightspeed C.  Before we run the application
(either compilied or in LSC shell), double clicking works as normal.  After
running it only once, double clicking ceases to work in finder.  (just as
you describe above)  We can't seem to pinpoint the problem except that the
problem ceases when we use a lesser system and finder (as you said above).
Another program that does the same thing as our application does is the
stand alone MacMan application (not the DA).  Please note that this problem
does not aflict Mac IIs - double clicking always works.  Hence, many
developers with Mac IIs either know not of the problem or simply don't
care.  Personaly, I find it quite irritating.

************* If anybody knows what sequence of code causes this problem,
I'd like to correct it in our application.  Please send mail to the
address above.

					Eric.

broe@ur-tut.UUCP (Eric Brown) (02/04/88)

In article <908@ur-tut.UUCP> broe@tut.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP (Eric Brown) writes:
>We have the same problem - though, we have narrowed down the problem a little
>more.  The problem seems to be either finder 5.5 or greater or system 4.2
>or greater running on anything less than a Mac II.  I know personally, I am
>using finder 6.0 with system 4.2 on a 1meg SE and have the same problem.
>The problem, I believe, is not with Word, it is the program you ran before-
>Word.  (perhaps some INITed file)  Here at work, we are developing an
>application for the Mac with Lightspeed C.  Before we run the application
>(either compilied or in LSC shell), double clicking works as normal.  After
>running it only once, double clicking ceases to work in finder.  (just as
>you describe above)  We can't seem to pinpoint the problem except that the
>problem ceases when we use a lesser system and finder (as you said above).
>Another program that does the same thing as our application does is the
>stand alone MacMan application (not the DA).  Please note that this problem
>does not aflict Mac IIs - double clicking always works.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be writting to myself, but apperently, my boss
found the double-click problem.  I just want to explain what the bug is for
any other developers experiencing the same problem.  It happens to be with
new finders, the eventmask an a source skeleton that apple supplys for
applications.  Appearently, finder 6.0 does not resent the eventmask when
an application ends (MultiFinder does).  To repair applications that
misbehave in the way described above, you should reset the eventmask before
exiting an application.  (or don't mask out mouseUp events at the beginning
of your application.)

					Eric.

cgw@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gray Watson) (02/04/88)

In article <966@ssc-bee.ssc-vax.UUCP> sdy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Sea Lance) writes:
>I have a 512ke (upgraded from a 128 via Dr Dobbs, apple) with finder 5.5 and
>system 4.2 and an external 800k drive. The version of Word that I have used to
>fire up just fine by double clicking on the document under my old system/finder
>(f4.5, s3.1 ?? its been awhile) but now I noticed that I either have to select
>both word and the doc or just dbl-click word and open the doc. Do I have
>something set up wrong or does the newer system/finders no longer support the
>double clicks??

Have you tried rebuliding your desktop file?

This sounds like a desktop file problem and shouldn't be blamed on WORD, the
machine or System/Finder.  The desktop file keeps track of all the
applications on the disk PLUS the ones that at some time have resided on the
disk (i.e. when you copy a file onto a disk the Finder adds the information
about it into the desktop file but when the file is deleted the desktop file
DOESN'T erase all of this data).

	One of the pieces of information the desktop keeps track of is the list
of which applicationss should be executed when you double-click on a document
of a particular type. Once in a while another file comes along with the same
type and the desktop gets confused.

	To rebuild hold the option and command (clover-leaf) keys when the
Finder starts uo.

good luck...