[comp.sys.mac] INITsdir/new

joachim@iravcl.ira.uka.de (02/05/88)

In article <3927@husc6.harvard.edu>, waldman@endor.harvard.edu (benjamin Waldman) writes:
> Is there any difference between INITS in the system file, and INITs in INIT
> files?
>
> One application I was using stuck an INIT in my system file, which annoyed
> me, so I went into ResEdit, cut out the INIT, pasted it into a new file,
> which I gave a type of INIT.
>
> Upon booting the computer, the INIT showed its icon, but then the computer
> bombed - ILGL error in Macsbug I think.  Why would this happen?  Do INITs
> have to be written differently to exist alone, outside the system file?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben Waldman
> waldman@endor.harvard.edu

Inits in other files must take care for the following requirements
(1) load to the system heap (sysbit)
(2) lock if they modify anything (locked)
(3) detached if they have to survive the CloseResFile
the same must be true for all resources they use.

Joachim Lindenberg, University of Karlsruhe
Federal Republic of Germany - West Germany.