[comp.sys.mac] Something that does fast expansion of text abbreviations?

derek@gucis.oz (Derek Austin) (01/25/88)

In the dim dark world that was the pre-megabyte mac, there was a
nifty DA that let you store a table of abbreviations and that DA
would then expand them for you, wherever you were. This sort of thing
was useful in MacWrite, for example, which doesn't have any sort of
glossary facility.

Now with the coming of the SEs etc, this DA no longer worked (I can't
remember its name).

Does anyone know of either a similar DA or a word processor that will let
you type  in an abbreviation that will be automatically expanded as soon as
you type white space? OR, a word processor that does the same? OR, a word
processor that had a glossary facility similar to the old Microsoft Word 1.05
where you typed one keystroke after the abbreviation to expand it?

I need this for an application where typing speed is of the essence. It must
run on a Macintosh SE.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

	derek

Derek Austin		ACSnet:		derek@gucis.oz
The Byte Centre		ARPA:		derek%gucis.oz@seismo.css.gov
49 Park Road		CSNET:		derek@gucis.oz
Milton  4064		JANET:		gucis.oz!derek@ukc
Australia		PHONE:  	+61 7 369 4099
UUCP:	{seismo,hplabs,mcvax,ukc,nttlab}!munnari!gucis.oz!derek

cimeti@nucsrl.UUCP (Israel Cimet) (01/29/88)

>Does anyone know of either a similar DA or a word processor that will let
>you type  in an abbreviation that will be automatically expanded as soon as
>you type white space?

>Thanks,
>Derek Austin		ACSnet:		derek@gucis.oz
>Australia		PHONE:  	+61 7 369 4099
>UUCP:	{seismo,hplabs,mcvax,ukc,nttlab}!munnari!gucis.oz!derek

There is an init called Key-Str that does exactly what you are asking
for (although the abbreviation file is set through a DA). I have not
used it extensively (in my SE) but everything indicates that it works.

Is this the one that you were using??.

BTW, I think that QuickKeys can also do this type of translation.

------------------------
I. Arieh Cimet
Northwestern University

jnp@daimi.UUCP (J|rgen N|rgaard) (02/03/88)

In article <6340015@nucsrl.UUCP> cimeti@nucsrl.UUCP (Israel Cimet) writes:
>>Does anyone know of either a similar DA or a word processor that will let
>>you type  in an abbreviation that will be automatically expanded as soon as
>>you type white space?
>
>There is an init called Key-Str that does exactly what you are asking
>for (although the abbreviation file is set through a DA). I have not
>used it extensively (in my SE) but everything indicates that it works.

Why haven't somebody taken up the Emacs idea of extensionality :
Write your own code (unfortunately lisp) to do the job. Maybe it slows
down operation a little, but it is wonderful to customize one's editor !!!
And with a Macintosh interface it ought to be simple !!!

The concrete subject is solved by "abbrevation-mode"; simple and useful.

--
			Regards J|rgen N|rgaard
				e-mail: jnp@daimi.dk

mms@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (John J. Chew III) (02/05/88)

| Does anyone know of either a similar DA or a word processor that will let
| you type  in an abbreviation that will be automatically expanded as soon as
| you type white space?

I'd recommend Thunder, originally put out by Batteries Included but
now distributed by some company in the United States whose name I
don't have handy.  It's a desk accessory that spell-checks, does
primitive text analysis and abbreviation expansion.

It's the only spelling checker I have that operates fully
interactively (set it going, type away and it beeps whenever
you make a mistake) as well as in batch mode.  The abbreviation
expansion feature works just as you described, and includes a
few canned abbreviations that enter the current date or time.
Abbreviation data is stored in a pure text file, though additions
can be made to it at any time without invoking an editor.

(Disclaimer: I've always wanted to be able to disclaim something,
and now here it is, my big chance... I have nothing whatsoever to
do with Batteries Included, which is out of business now anyhow,
except that I drove past where they used to be today, and I once
bought a serial card from a subsidiary of theirs that isn't in
business either, and oh yes, I got a free copy of their Thunder
DA a while ago.  wow.)

--
john j. chew (v3.0)                       poslfit@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
+1 416 463 5403 (300/1200 bps)            poslfit@utorgpu.bitnet