[comp.sys.mac] Font quality on the LaserWriter SC

P.PRIAPUS@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU (Bill Lipa) (02/01/88)

This may be a repeat - my previous posting hadn't showed up for an unusually
long time. Sorry if it is. Anyway, I would like to know how the high-quality
fonts are handled on the SC, the QuickDraw LaserWriter. If they are bitmaps,
I would imagine that you can't print the variety of sizes that the current
LaserWriters offer at high quality. Is this true or do SC's do special font
processing to alleviate this problem?

Bill

Bitnet: p.priapus%macbeth.stanford.edu@forsythe.stanford.edu
-------

stew@endor.harvard.edu (Stew Rubenstein) (02/03/88)

In article <12371156232.110.P.PRIAPUS@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU> P.PRIAPUS@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU (Bill Lipa) writes:
>Anyway, I would like to know how the high-quality
>fonts are handled on the SC, the QuickDraw LaserWriter. If they are bitmaps,
>I would imagine that you can't print the variety of sizes that the current
>LaserWriters offer at high quality. Is this true or do SC's do special font
>processing to alleviate this problem?

This is true.  It works just like an ImageWriter only more so - you
have to have the font four times the size for highest quality
printing.  That is, to print a twelve point font at highest quality,
you have to have a 48 point font in your System or Suitcase file.

Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC

ashore@hpsadla.HP (Alex Shore) (02/06/88)

Who does the font substitution?  QuickDraw.  Does it look at
the horizontal and vert. resolution fields in, I forgot which
datastructure, one of the datastructures you fill in from the
printing resource and then look to see if you have the quad-size
font for the currently selected font?  (long sentence I know).
Or, do you have to capture the QuickDraw commands and then substitute
the quad-size font for the one selected and then draw into the
printerport?

Thank you in advance,
Alex Shore.