[comp.sys.mac] Risk game comments

pswisnov@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Peter S. Wisnovsky) (02/04/88)

One question about the risk game: might the icons representing
the various strategy levels be out of order? I selected the "neutral"
icon and it seemed to play agressively, and when I tried the "agressive"
icon it seemed to play neutrally.

A note on the icons: while I don't wish to start a debate that better
belongs in a talk.whatever group, I would like to point out that some
might consider the icon for the "agressive" strategy, a male-gender
circle-and-arrow symbol, somewhat impolitic. 'Nuff said.
--
Peter Wisnovsky		pswisnov@phoenix.princeton.edu   BitNet: pswisnov@pucc

Please use mail: this news feed is VERY unreliable.

dowdy@apple.UUCP (Tom Dowdy) (02/05/88)

In article <1635@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> pswisnov@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Peter S. Wisnovsky) writes:
>One question about the risk game: might the icons representing
>the various strategy levels be out of order? I selected the "neutral"
>icon and it seemed to play agressively, and when I tried the "agressive"
>icon it seemed to play neutrally.

I think that the "neutral" players are by far the hardest (especially
when the card values are set to "exponential increase").  Why?
If you read the help file, you will see that "neutrals" try to
"hold on to what they have", (ie, they play like most humans, and simply
pile up armies on their border.)  When they reach a certain point, they will
move in on you.  It takes several turns for them to finish you off,
where a real human would simply march all over you in one turn.

I've got a saved game that was going for over 2 hours, me vs 4 neutrals
and all five of us are STILL in the game.  I think the situation is basically
hopeless, as each one of us in turn has captured N America at least 3 times.

Put even one aggressive or chaotic in there, and he'll eventually start
to kill off the neutrals.

BTW: This is a great game.  And a perfect one for computerization.
Now if I only had the time to do "Awful Green Things From Outer Space",
which is another chip and dice rolling kind of game.

  Tom Dowdy                 CSNET:    dowdy@apple.CSNET
  Apple Computer MS:27Y     AppleLink:DOWDY1
  20525 Mariani Ave         UUCP:     {sun,voder,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!dowdy
  Cupertino, CA 95014
  "The 'Oo-Ah' Bird is so called because it lays square eggs."

adams3@cisunx.UUCP (Lar the Pi Kapp) (02/05/88)

In article <1635@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> pswisnov@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Peter S. Wisnovsky) writes:
>A note on the icons: while I don't wish to start a debate that better
>belongs in a talk.whatever group, I would like to point out that some
>might consider the icon for the "agressive" strategy, a male-gender
>circle-and-arrow symbol, somewhat impolitic. 'Nuff said.

just one word on this topic, and hopefully one which won't inflame
anyone (so i don't get flamed on!!!).  i believe that that symbol,
which has the meaning for signifying the male gender, also is the
symbol for the planet Mars.  Mars was the god of war, so it seems
appropriate that the "his" symbol should be used to indicate
aggressiveness, no?

larry adams
univ of pgh, computer & info systems

(flames to /dev/trivial !!!)

steele@unc.cs.unc.edu (Oliver Steele) (02/05/88)

pswisnov@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Peter S. Wisnovsky) writes:
>A note on the icons: while I don't wish to start a debate that better
>belongs in a talk.whatever group, I would like to point out that some
>might consider the icon for the "agressive" strategy, a male-gender
>circle-and-arrow symbol, somewhat impolitic. 'Nuff said.

It's a shield and spear, nai kune!

Oliver Steele					   ...!uunet!mcnc!unc!steele
							   steele@cs.unc.edu
"If they weren't guilty, they wouldn't be suspects"
					-- Ed Meese

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (02/06/88)

In article <7322@apple.UUCP> dowdy@apple.UUCP (Tom Dowdy) writes:
>BTW: This is a great game.  And a perfect one for computerization.
>Now if I only had the time to do "Awful Green Things From Outer Space",
>which is another chip and dice rolling kind of game.

Oh wow!  I had almost forgotten about ATGFOS.  I thought about doing
it on an Apple II+, but I didn't have the know-how back then...

I would LOVE to see a Mac version of ATGFOS.  Any way I can help, Tom?
This could be a lot of fun (as well as a learning experience)!

>  Tom Dowdy                 CSNET:    dowdy@apple.CSNET
>  Apple Computer MS:27Y     AppleLink:DOWDY1
>  20525 Mariani Ave         UUCP:     {sun,voder,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!dowdy
>  Cupertino, CA 95014
>  "The 'Oo-Ah' Bird is so called because it lays square eggs."

Rob Jellinghaus                | "This is not a RENTAL car...
jellinghaus@yale.edu           |  this is PRIVATELY owned!!"
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |
!..!ihnp4!hsi!yale!jellinghaus |               -- _True Stories_