[comp.sys.mac] tcsh in AUX

damour@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Kevin Damour) (01/12/88)

    Does anyone know if tcsh is present in AUX when purchased?
    If not, is the source code for csh distributed in AUX so that
    the tcsh patches from the net can be used to recompile tcsh ?

    (tcsh is an enhanced version of csh with such options as filename
    completion and command line editing.)

    Thank you,
    Kevin Damour
    Lincoln Labs
    damour@xn.ll.mit.edu

verber@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (01/12/88)

The latest posting of tcsh from OSU (Aug on comp.source.unix) included
support for A/UX.  It has been tested and used here.  I don't believe
Apple is planning to distribute it.

Cheers,
Computer Science Department			         Mark A. Verber
The Ohio State University			 verber@ohio-state.arpa
+1 (614) 292-7344				  cbosgd!osu-cis!verber

paulsen@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/13/88)

The last time that I saw AUX, it included TSH right out of the box, so you
should have no problems wiht that.

Gaige B. Paulsen

phil@apple.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) (01/16/88)

In article <46100049@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> paulsen@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>The last time that I saw AUX, it included TSH right out of the box, so you
>should have no problems wiht that.
>
>Gaige B. Paulsen
>National Center for Supercomputing Applications

Ahem - pardon me, but, no, standard-from-Apple does not include TSH. It does
include sh, csh (4.2 flavored), and ksh.

Philip K. Ronzone, A/UX Technical Manager                   APPLELINK: RONZONE1
Apple Computer, Mail Stop 27AJ, 10500 N. DeAnza Blvd.  Cupertino, CA  95014
UUCP:  ...!{sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual,unisoft}!apple!phil

verber@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (01/19/88)

As I stated before, tcsh will run under A/UX.  If you are having
problems compiling it under A/UX you should contact Paul Placeway
paul@ohio-state.arpa or cbosgd!osu-cis!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!paul for
help.  We have had tcsh running under A/UX since early Spring.

pollock@usfvax2.UUCP (Wayne Pollock) (01/23/88)

In article <854@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> damour@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Kevin Damour) writes:
>    Does anyone know if tcsh is present in AUX when purchased?

Please, please, oh please tell me AUX doesn't include the horrible csh!!?
Hey, Apple!!  Yes I'm talkin' to YOU!  If you have an ounce of mercy in
your corporate infrastructure, you'll sell ksh (the Korn shell) with AUX!

At least make it an option for those of us who use the shell a lot (and who
have IQs greater than 65. :-)  Seriously, the Korn shell from AT&T is so
superior in every way to csh that it is plain silly not to use it if you have
a choice.

Wayne Pollock (The MAD Scientist)	pollock@usfvax2.usf.edu.UUCP
Usenet:		...!{ihnp4, cbatt}!codas!usfvax2!pollock
GEnie:		W.POLLOCK

PS to csh lovers (if such a thing is possible): Don't start a shell war; send
   your flames to me rather than post!

dmm@gatech.edu (donald mead) (01/28/88)

In article <11010005@hpfcdc.HP.COM> bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) writes:

>Another recommendation for ksh here. I use it exclusively in HP-UX, and it
>is very nice. If you know vi (shudder), you've got a leg up, as ksh's
>command line editing is essentially vi!! Makes it very easy to remember

Its probably too late to plead for ksh in the initial release of A/UX, but
if it isn't there it would be nice to have supported by Apple in the near
future.  Just realize that this would be a good bit of work for Apple since
ksh in its present version has significant problems with its buffer
allocation, ... and would have been another headache compounding their porting
problems.  Even having a tweeked version running on a Sun 3/50 there are
still occational problems running X windows and big stuff.

In another vein though, will there be such thing as ash (Apple shell)?
It would be really great to be able to do shell programing with access to the
toolbox, ...

Roll away the dew,
donald
--
donald mead
(AIRMICS), Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (01/29/88)

In article <16961@gatech.edu> dmm@gatech.UUCP (donald mead) writes:
>In article <11010005@hpfcdc.HP.COM> bayes@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) writes:
>>
>>Another recommendation for ksh here. I use it exclusively in HP-UX, and it
>>is very nice. If you know vi (shudder), you've got a leg up, as ksh's
>>command line editing is essentially vi!! Makes it very easy to remember
	Just to settle the rumours floating around, and perhaps limit
the number of requests for various shells, the supported and provided
shells under A/UX are Bourne Shell (sh), Korn Shell (ksh), and C-Shell
(csh).  The Tenex C-Shell is not supported by apple, but various folks
at various places have ported it.
--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi