[comp.sys.mac] Fonts on a LaserWriter SC

P.PRIAPUS@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU (Bill Lipa) (01/27/88)

I am considering the purchase of a LaserWriter SC since it is so much cheaper
than the NX and I don't need networking or PostScript capability specifically.
However, since this is a QuickDraw printer, can anyone tell me how good the
font quality is? I have heard that Times, Courier, Symbol, and Helvetica are
somehow internal to the SC -- is this true, and more importantly, are they
done in such a way as to permit any font size to be printed at high quality?
If all the SC has are a few high resolution sizes of these fonts, I suppose
I'll have to wait and get an NX.

Bill Lipa

Bitnet: p.priapus%hamlet@forsythe.stanford.edu
-------

stew@endor.harvard.edu (Stew Rubenstein) (02/06/88)

In article <12369819578.107.P.PRIAPUS@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU> P.PRIAPUS@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU (Bill Lipa) writes:
>I am considering the purchase of a LaserWriter SC since it is so much cheaper
>than the NX and I don't need networking or PostScript capability specifically.
>However, since this is a QuickDraw printer, can anyone tell me how good the
>font quality is? I have heard that Times, Courier, Symbol, and Helvetica are
>somehow internal to the SC -- is this true, and more importantly, are they
>done in such a way as to permit any font size to be printed at high quality?
>If all the SC has are a few high resolution sizes of these fonts, I suppose
>I'll have to wait and get an NX.

It works just like an ImageWriter, only more so.  The printer comes
with fonts in sizes up to 72 points.  Just as the ImageWriter uses the
font twice the size of the font you select, the LW SC uses the font
four times the size.  For example, if you print a document containing
Times 12, you have to have Times 48 in your System or Suitcase file
for high quality results.

It is quite a bit slower in Landscape mode.

It doesn't implement regions.  Simulate them with polygons, they say.

As a developer of a high quality graphics program, I am looking at a
future of explaining to my customers why they have to spend another
couple of thousand dollars to get the output I advertise.  Bummer.

Stew Rubenstein
Cambridge Scientific Computing, Inc.
UUCPnet:    seismo!harvard!rubenstein            CompuServe: 76525,421
Internet:   rubenstein@harvard.harvard.edu       MCIMail:    CSC