[comp.sys.mac] Questions Re: SE Guided Tour

peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) (01/29/88)

Here's a toughy. Many of you have probably seen the guided tours
that come with Macs. We have a Mac Lab of several SEs and want
to make the Guided Tour available on a public read-only network
volume. The first thing I tried was to simply copy all the tour
files to my hard disk to see if it would run on something other
than its original floppy and from what I can tell, it works fine.
So next, I copied the appropriate files to a public volume that
is accessed over AppleTalk (via PhoneNET) and the guided tour
works fine up to the point it finishes its intro phase and takes
you to the "main menu" screen. At that point, it simply freezes
and I have to re-boot.

I though this might be caused by the network volume being read only,
but the exact same symptons occur when I execute the tour on this
volume in read/write mode.

In theory, there should be no difference in running this tour on
the network volume if it works both on a floppy and a SCSI hard
disk. In practice, this doesn't seem to be the case. Does any
one in net.land have a clue as to what might cause the guided
tour to lock up? We're running MacJANET file server software
with 12 SEs in the lab and an SE as our server.

All comments appreciated.

--
Peter Steele Acadia Univ. Wolfville NS Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121
UUCP:{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}dalcs!aucs!Peter BITNET:Peter@Acadia

tecot@apple.UUCP (Ed Tecot) (02/04/88)

I'm not at all familiar with the guided tour, but I'll take a crack at it
anyway.  My guess is that the guided tour wants to be booted from; unless
you can copy the system file to the network and boot from it (you can't
under AppleShare), you will be unable to run the tour.  And even then,
the system might be significantly different from the normal working system
so that you would have to dedicate a server just to the guided tour.

My recommendation; keep the tour on floppies; each user will only use it
once, and those that do will probably not be able to boot from a network
without assistance.  It's much easier to have someone stick a floppy in
a drive and turn on the machine.

							_emt

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (02/05/88)

My mac II guided tour is very finicky.  I think it will only run if
you have the control panel set to the right combination of shades /
pixel and b/w v.s. color (and maybe 0K ram cache).  I cannot remember
which settings you need, but if your Mac II guided tour won't boot,
this could be the problem.

I was appalled.  I opened my brand-new "easy to use computer",
connected the cables, inserted the guided tour disk, and booted the
machine.  It immediately crashed.  Whether the tour runs depends on
the state of the PRAM!  I had to boot the finder and fiddle with the
control panel to make it run!  A novice user would be sunk!

Apple?  Are you listening?  Please fix the guided tour so it always
runs.

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}

paul@aucs.UUCP (Paul Steele) (02/06/88)

In article <7321@apple.UUCP> tecot@apple.UUCP (Ed Tecot) writes:
>I'm not at all familiar with the guided tour, but I'll take a crack at it
>anyway.  My guess is that the guided tour wants to be booted from; unless
>you can copy the system file to the network and boot from it (you can't
>under AppleShare), you will be unable to run the tour.  And even then,
>the system might be significantly different from the normal working system
>so that you would have to dedicate a server just to the guided tour.

Thanks for the suggestion.  However, the tour runs just fine when I
copy it to a hard disk and do not use the system/finder on the tour disk.
Ed's comment appears not to be the reason that the tour fails when run from
a MacJANET network volume, which is the only place it seems to fail.  I have
contacted the developers of MacJANET but have not heard back yet.

Paul H. Steele      USENET:   {uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!aucs!Paul
Acadia University   BITNET:   Paul@Acadia
Wolfville, NS       Internet: Paul%Acadia.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
CANADA  B0P 1X0     (902) 542-2201x587