[comp.sys.mac] DataDesk 101 Keyboard Review & QuickKeys Questions

gleicher@duke.cs.duke.edu (Michael Gleicher) (02/04/88)

1) I have had my DataDesk Mac-101 ADB keyboard for about 2 weeks.
	I like it a lot. It is not ideal (the "tactileness" sounds
	and feels cheap, the control key is off in never never land . .)
	but it is better than anything else I've used on any Mac,
	it easily blows away apple's extended keyboard. Takes up
	less desk space too.

	I got mine without the Mac 2 on switch (I didn't know you had
	to order it differently). I could send it back for the price
	of postage, but I'm too lazy.

	I order mine through the Savings Zone. Saved money and they were
	real good about getting me one as quickly as they could. (I ordered
	it around Christmas when they were VERY back ordered from DataDesk).

	The ADB ports are on the back of the keyboard. This gives the mouse
	cord (already too short for my taste) too far to reach around the
	keyboard. Minor inconvenience. On the other hand though, having the
	connector on the back makes putting the keyboard in your lap easier.
	It also makes the cable run to the computer neater. (when will
	manufacturers learn to put the keyboard connectors on the fron
	of the machine?)

	In general I am very happy with it. (I just can't wait for my
	TurboMouse to come).

2) The 101 Keys program that comes with the DataDesk 101 is NOT MULTIFINDER
	COMPATIBLE.

	I'm also not sure how good it is. I really don't use it as I tend
	to run multifinder.

3) QuickKeys (from what I've read) looks far superior to 101 Keys, but before
	I lay out the $75, I have a few questions:

	1) will it run under multi-finder ?
	2) under-multifinder will it switch between keysets?
	3) can you define the keys on the numeric keypad
		(I'd like to have home and end work)
	   can you distinguish whether num-lock mode or not?
	4) how much "drag" manipulation can you do.
	   could you make a "goto to end of file" key easily for
	   Word or ConcertWare?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Michael Lee Gleicher			(-: If it looks like I'm wandering
	Duke University			(-:    around like I'm lost . . .
E-Mail: gleicher@cs.duke.edu)(or uucp	(-:
Or P.O.B. 5899 D.S., Durham, NC 27706	(-:   It's because I am!

robertj@yale-zoo-suned..arpa (Rob Jellinghaus) (02/04/88)

In article <11029@duke.cs.duke.edu> gleicher@duke.cs.duke.edu (Michael Gleicher) writes:
>3) QuickKeys (from what I've read) looks far superior to 101 Keys, but before
>       I lay out the $75, I have a few questions:
>
>       1) will it run under multi-finder ?

Yes, QuicKeys (as far as I can tell) is 100% Multifinder-compatible.
I recently got a free upgrade (to version 1.1) fixing some problems
which I had never noticed in version 1.0 :-)

>       2) under-multifinder will it switch between keysets?

Yes, you can create application-specific keysets that will change
when you switch applications (for instance, you could have clover-S
be defined as "Shut Down" in the Finder and as "Save" in Macwrite,
and the program will perform the correct action depending on which
application is frontmost).  You can also, of course, define universal
keys that work no matter which application you're in.  Application-
specific keys take precedence over general keys, which take precedence
over the program's usage.  For example: clover-S chooses Shadow in
MacWrite.  Setting clover-S to "Shut Down" as a universal key takes
precedence over the MacWrite usage.  However, if you define clover-S
as "Save" within MacWrite, clover-S will save within MacWrite.  It's
harder to describe than it is to do.

>       3) can you define the keys on the numeric keypad
>               (I'd like to have home and end work)
>          can you distinguish whether num-lock mode or not?

I've got an extended keyboard (from Apple) and darn near everything
on it can be changed.  The program differentiates between the keypad
and the numbers at the top of the keyboard.  It doesn't support num
lock mode, though.  (Nor scroll lock, although that doesn't have much
meaning on the Mac.)   I have changed the definitions of the page
up and page down and home and end and ins/del and |X> keys.  All
work as I have defined them.  (It's neat to shuffle through and close
windows with keystrokes...)

>       4) how much "drag" manipulation can you do.
>          could you make a "goto to end of file" key easily for
>          Word or ConcertWare?

Yes, this is easy.  There are predefined actions (called "Mousies")
for scrolling up or down a line, scrolling to the beginning or end
of a window, closing or opening a window, and more besides.  When
you define a key as a Mousie, all you do is make pressing the key
equivalent to clicking in the appropriate area of the window (for ex-
ample, I have the |X> key set to "Close"; whenever I press it, the
topmost window closes.  Neat!).

I love this QuicKeys deal.  About once a week I think of something
that it would be handy for, I pop into it and define the new key,
and bam, I'm working a bit more conveniently.  I can't live without
it anymore!

I don't know personally how well it works with the Datadesk, but
patch files are included with it (as well as predefined key layouts
for you to mess around with), and I trust CE Software.  My advice
(in case you hadn't gotten it yet):  Buy QuicKeys.

>Michael Lee Gleicher                   (-: If it looks like I'm wandering
>       Duke University                 (-:    around like I'm lost . . .
>E-Mail: gleicher@cs.duke.edu)(or uucp  (-:
>Or P.O.B. 5899 D.S., Durham, NC 27706  (-:   It's because I am!

Rob Jellinghaus                | "This is not a RENTAL car...
jellinghaus@yale.edu.UUCP      |  this is PRIVATELY owned!!"
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |
!..!ihnp4!hsi!yale!jellinghaus |               -- _True Stories_

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (02/05/88)

In article <11029@duke.cs.duke.edu> gleicher@duke.cs.duke.edu (Michael Gleicher) writes:
|3) QuickKeys (from what I've read) looks far superior to 101 Keys, but before
|	I lay out the $75, I have a few questions:

I use it with Apple's extended keyboard, I havn't tried it with any other.

|	1) will it run under multi-finder ?

Yes, it is multifinder compatible.

|	2) under-multifinder will it switch between keysets?

Yes.  There are two key-sets available at any one time.  One is a universal
set that is available with all programs.  The other is the program key-set
that works only with that programming.  It autmatically switchs to the
appropiate key-set as you switch between programs under MultiFinder.
You can assign keys to either one just by clicking the appropiate button
in the Quickkeys box. Both sets are always available at anytime, with
the program set given priority over the universal set.

|	3) can you define the keys on the numeric keypad
|		(I'd like to have home and end work)
|	   can you distinguish whether num-lock mode or not?

You can define any key on the keyboard, including numeric and the special
keys.  I don't know about num-lock but it does let you modify each key
with shift, ctrl, option and cmd.  I don't remember enough combinitorics
(sp?) to tell how manys commands per key that is, but it's enough :-).

|	4) how much "drag" manipulation can you do.
|	   could you make a "goto to end of file" key easily for
|	   Word or ConcertWare?

As much as you could want (I think).  I have one key that drags the floppy
disk icon from it's normal position to the trash can (unmounting it).  You
can specify multiple clicks and option/cmd/ctrl/shift keys as well.  Another
that clicks the MultiFinder switch point (the small icon in the upper right).
Quickkeys also has special commands that will adjust scroll bars, including
beginning and end of file, page up/down and line up/down.  You can also
add keys to menu items (including DAs and MultiFinder Applications at the
bottom of the DA menu), add a date key, a reboot and shutdown keys and
sequences of the above.  Text, FKEYs and buttons can all be used from
Quickkeys.  For example I have one that will, in the Save File dialog,
press first the Save button, then the Yes to the Replace dialog.  Compatible
with MultiFinder and Suitcase.  Highly recommended.

|Michael Lee Gleicher			(-: If it looks like I'm wandering

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant

Ray_Ray_Davidson@cup.portal.com (02/07/88)

Others have answered your questions about Quickeys, so I won't repeat that
info. Let me add, though, that I use QK with a DataDesk 101 and it works fine.
I couldn't do without either of them.  All Mac programs should be so useful and
intuitive as QK.

Ray Davidson
CIS : 71121,572
GENie : raydavidson
UUCP : ...sun!cup.portal.com!ray_ray_davidson
Snail Mail:
22422 Walnut Circle South, #A
Cupertino CA 95014