[comp.sys.mac] Two floppies in Mac SE with HD20

mlevy@uvicctr.UUCP (Michael Levy) (02/06/88)

I have a Mac SE with builtin HD20, and therefore only one floppy
disk slot. I am running System Package 5 (Multifinder 1, Latest finder
etc). Whenever I Eject a disk (from file menu or with Clover-E)
and insert another one, my Mac goes into a disk swap that lasts longer
than my patience. This happens with Finder and Multifinder. What is going on?
I'd appreciate some help.
...M. Levy   {mlevy@uvunix.bitnet,mlevy@csr.uvic.cdn,
		...uw-beaver!uvicctr!mlevy}

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (02/09/88)

In article <359@uvicctr.UUCP> mlevy@uvicctr.UUCP (Michael Levy) writes:
>I have a Mac SE with builtin HD20, and therefore only one floppy
>disk slot. I am running System Package 5 (Multifinder 1, Latest finder
>etc). Whenever I Eject a disk (from file menu or with Clover-E)
>and insert another one, my Mac goes into a disk swap that lasts longer
>than my patience. This happens with Finder and Multifinder. What is going on?
>I'd appreciate some help.

Looks like the famed disk-swapping madness rears its ugly head again,
in a Finder environment with only about 160K of memory...

One workaround may be to drag the disk icon to the Trash rather than
choosing eject.  This unmounts the volume entirely, and makes the Mac
forget the volume's existence, so it will never ask for it again.
It will not harm the volume in any way.

If you've got the memory (which I doubt, on an SE), try increasing the
amount of memory allotted to the Finder (do a Get Info on the Finder
and change the number in the little box at the bottom of the window).

Hoping this is at least marginally helpful...

>...M. Levy   {mlevy@uvunix.bitnet,mlevy@csr.uvic.cdn,
>               ...uw-beaver!uvicctr!mlevy}

Rob Jellinghaus                | "This is not a RENTAL car...
jellinghaus@yale.edu           |  this is PRIVATELY owned!!"
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |
!..!ihnp4!hsi!yale!jellinghaus |               -- _True Stories_