[comp.sys.mac] macii programmers button

arms@oliveb.olivetti.com (Steve @ His Desk) (02/02/88)

Could someone MAIL me the instructions to install the programmers
button on the MacII. I cant seem to find the appropreate section
in the manual. Thanks for any help.

Steve

--
----NSA Line eater food: NSA sells drugs to Regans mafia via Iran ----
UUCP - arms@oliveb                 "The Peace-at-any-price party would

gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (02/03/88)

This is a very good question for the new newsgroup comp.sys.mac.programmer.
How to install a programmer's button:

On every machine EXCEPT for the Mac II, the programmer's button goes
on the LEFT side, in the back, near the base.  Get a flashlight and
look into the ventillation slots of your machine.  You should see two
buttons between the louvres.  This is where the programmer's button
goes (on top of the buttons).

On the Macintosh II, the programmer's button goes on the RIGHT side of
the machine, in the back, at the base.  I found it with a flashlight.

The button near the front of the machine is REBOOT, at least on the
Mac II.  The button near the rear of the machine is DEBUG.  You can
probably test this with a penpoint.  Anyway, install your switches so
that the button labels match the appropriate buttons.

It is IDIOTIC POLICY not to document this in the macintosh user's
guide.  I have never seen a machine WITHOUT these buttons installed.
Apple is dreaming if they think they're doing someone a service!
Every macintosh owner installs this button.  In a macintosh lab, if
need be, the system administrator can avoid installing the buttons!

This oversight is as serious as not documenting the PRAM.  If Apple
would only write SOMETHING about these trouble spots in their manual,
maybe the traffic on comp.sys.mac would decrease by 50%!

Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
            {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (02/04/88)

In article <14270@oliveb.olivetti.com>, arms@oliveb.olivetti.com (Steve @ His Desk) writes:
> Could someone MAIL me the instructions to install the programmers
> button on the MacII. I cant seem to find the appropreate section
> in the manual. Thanks for any help.

This isn't mail, but it's a question that arises with fair frequency, so I will
answer it on the net (as a few others have before me).  The Mac II programmer's
switch mounts on the right side of the II (as you face it).  It mounts in the
vents about 80% of the way back -- below where the hard disk mounts.  The
reason that you can't find the appropriate section in the manual is that the
appropriate section DOES NOT EXIST.  Apple either forgot (or more likely)
purposely did not document this.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
--------------------------
Disclaimer:  The opinion(s) expressed above are _mine_!

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Cooley) (02/05/88)

In article <76000111@uiucdcsp>, gillies@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> It is IDIOTIC POLICY not to document this in the macintosh user's
> guide.  I have never seen a machine WITHOUT these buttons installed.
> Apple is dreaming if they think they're doing someone a service!
> Every macintosh owner installs this button.  In a macintosh lab, if
> need be, the system administrator can avoid installing the buttons!

Having worked in a Mac lab, I feel compelled to make a note here.
Installing the programmer switch on the Macs is nothing short of
MANDATORY.  In our lab, we had all but one Mac with programmer
switches.  That little sucker, the switchless one, was more trouble
than anything since resetting machines after a user leaves so we
can put in our required screen saver/wait-for-disk-stuck-in program
was standard procedure.

Before we went to buy another switch, our choices were either poking
the reset switch with paperclips, turning the machine off/on, or
letting the screen burn in.

> This oversight is as serious as not documenting the PRAM.  If Apple
> would only write SOMETHING about these trouble spots in their manual,
> maybe the traffic on comp.sys.mac would decrease by 50%!

Ah, but you forget.  Being the center of attention, even BAD attention,
is better than getting no attention at all. :-)

> Don Gillies {ihnp4!uiucdcs!gillies} U of Illinois
>             {gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu}

					--Chris Cooley

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (02/09/88)

In article <299@dbase.UUCP> drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) writes:

>This isn't mail, but it's a question that arises with fair frequency, so I will
>answer it on the net (as a few others have before me).
Unfortunatly, it's usually people who are putting together their Mac II for the
first time so they havn't read this group before.

>The Mac II programmer's
>switch mounts on the right side of the II (as you face it).  It mounts in the
>vents about 80% of the way back -- below where the hard disk mounts.  The
>reason that you can't find the appropriate section in the manual is that the
>appropriate section DOES NOT EXIST.  Apple either forgot (or more likely)
>purposely did not document this.

It helps to take off the top.  Looking down, on the side opposite the
power supply (the gold box) you'll see two buttons mounted on a stand
facing the side of the Mac II.  They are towards the back of the mother
board, near the last of the air slots on that side.

>Dennis Cohen

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant