[comp.sys.mac] EtherTalk vs. LocalTalk on Mac II

dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (02/05/88)

>Bill Leue writes:
I talked to a technical support person from TOPS (was Centram, now part of
Sun) today.  I was interested to find out if TOPS supports a Mac II
equipped with an EtherTalk card as a gateway machine from Ethernet to
LocalTalk.  (If it could work, it would be an alternative to buying a
Kinetics box, since we already have the Mac.)  She said that they do NOT
support this configuration.  She also said that part of the reason is that
Apple has told them that if you plug an EtherTalk card into your Mac II,
you can't use the LocalTalk ports at all!

Has anyone heard of this limitation before?  Mail replies to me and I will
>summarize for the net.

Hmmmm, I think what she means is that you can only have Ethertalk or LocalTalk
active at any one time. The serial ports still function while ET is active,
but they can not run Localtalk at the same time as ET is running. Essentially
you activate ethertalk by choosing the Network icon in the control panel,
Apple provides a CDEV for this with the ET card and you select if you want to
run "built in" (which is localtalk) or the EtherTalk stuff. So plugging in
an Ethertalk card does not blow away use of Localtalk.

Hope this clears things up! Now when is the version of Tops with NFS support
coming out? (read about it in infoworld so it must be tru 8))
David L. Williams
dlw@hpda
Hewlett Packard, Cupertino Ca
Software Development Technology Laboratory
Distributed Computing Environment Project
Mailstop: 47LR
"Sinanju, buddy -- the real stuff"

phssra@emory.uucp (Scott R. Anderson) (02/07/88)

In article <11540122@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>>Bill Leue writes:
>Hmmmm, I think what she means is that you can only have Ethertalk or LocalTalk
>active at any one time. The serial ports still function while ET is active,
>but they can not run Localtalk at the same time as ET is running.

This is an unfortunate limitation!  What if I want to print graphics or text
from my UNIX login screen to my LocalTalked LaserWriter?  Or receive mail over
LocalTalk while logged in to UNIX?  Or any number of other concurrent uses one
can imagine!

*                                     Scott Robert Anderson
  *      **                           gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **                   phssra@emoryu1.{bitnet,csnet}
    * *      * *    * **
     *        *      *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

korn@apple.UUCP (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (02/08/88)

In article <2584@emory.uucp> phssra@emory.UUCP (Scott R. Anderson) wrote:
>In article <11540122@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> dlw@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) wrote:

>>Hmmmm, I think what she means is that you can only have Ethertalk or LocalTalk
>>active at any one time. The serial ports still function while ET is active,
>>but they can not run Localtalk at the same time as ET is running.
>
>This is an unfortunate limitation!  What if I want to print graphics or text
>from my UNIX login screen to my LocalTalked LaserWriter?  Or receive mail over
>LocalTalk while logged in to UNIX?  Or any number of other concurrent uses one
>can imagine!

It is, and then again, it isn't a limitaiton.  The first question to ask is,
how are you connected to your UNIX login screen?  Are you running A/UX and
have a macintosh process running under A/UX that you want to print from?
Are you running MacTerminal (or some other like program) that you've connected
via a serial line to a UNIX host?  via an AppleTalk line to a UNIX host?
via an EtherNet TCP/IP line to a UNIX host?

Lets assume your under A/UX.  Then you will *need* to get a card (AST currently
makes one) that puts LocalTalk on the NuBus to do LocalTalk, because the
way it's implemented under the Mac OS (and on the Mac II board) is via
interrupts; and this would flail A/UX alive (interrupting the kernel simply
isn't done you know).  Alternately you could have an EtherTalk card (ours
or Knetics or someone elses), and talk AppleTalk protocalls via that card.
Then, somewhere on your network, you will have an EtherTalk to LocalTalk
bridge (such as the one made by Knetics), and on the LocalTalk net (or
subnet, if you will), you will put your LaserWriters and Mac Plus, Mac SE,
etc. machines.

Alternately, let's say that you are running under the Mac OS, and have a
macintosh program that allows you to connect to a host machine (again, like
MacTerminal).  Then, your connection to that host is via that program; no
LocalTalk necessarily involved.  If you have a program that embeds your
connection in AppleTalk packets, (Knetics has some stuff to do this, as well
as one or two other companies I believe), then again you are still using
that LocalTalk connection on the back of your Mac.

Lastly, you could be talking TCP/IP on a NuBus board to your UNIX host
(again, under the Mac OS), and talking LocalTalk out of the back of your
MacII.  And with a board that does both TCP/IP and EtherTalk (AppleTalk
packets on Ethernet cabling) at the same time, you could do it all that
way.

If you want a UNIX box to print on a LaserWriter, that's fine.  That
UNIX box has to either be connected to that LaserWriter via the serial
connection (which will effectively force all connections to that LaserWriter
to go through the UNIX box; the LaserWriter cannot take jobs simultaneously
from it's serial and it's LocalTalk connections), or that UNIX box can
somehow be on LocalTalk or EtherNet talking AppleTalk protocalls like
everyone else.

Another neat approach would be to set up your UNIX box on EtherNet talking
AppleTalk protocalls as an AFP file server (basically AppleShare with a
UNIX-based host).  Further, you could have that UNIX box also be serving
the LaserWriter that it's connected to serially (it broadcasts packets over
EtherNet in AppleTalk protocall saying that it's a LaserShare-type server,
and it can take LaserWriter jobs; which it will then spool to the LaserWriter
it's connected to serially).  If I'm not mistaken, several Universities
have done the former; I'm not sure if any of them have their AFP servers
also acting as AppleTalk print spoolers; but again, there is nothing in the
protocall to prevent this.

The limitation is simply this:  you cannot have more than one active physical
AppleTalk connection under the Mac OS (and there are even not-so-kosher ways
of getting around this; but don't do it!).  There is nothing to stop you from
having other connections of other sorts at the same time.

Hope this clears things up some...

Peter

mz@well.UUCP (Michael Zentner) (02/08/88)

What is it ?

mz@well.UUCP (Michael Zentner) (02/09/88)

From another article I surmised that Localtalk is the Appletalk that
allows direct connection of the Laserwriter to a Mac without the network.

The reason Localtalk and Ethertalk don't work together is probably
because they expect certain resources to be there that are specific
to each of them but have the same resource name/number. This is the
same situation with Asynchronous Appletalk and Regular Flavor Appletalk.

korn@apple.UUCP (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (02/10/88)

In article <5193@well.UUCP> mz@well.UUCP (Michael Zentner) writes:

> [LocalTalk,] what is it ?

In the beginning, there was AppleTalk.  It consisted of some circutry
inside a Macintosh CPU, some code to talk over that circutry, and some
cables.  As time went on, more protocalls were added to it, and the
code portion of AppleTalk expanded; but even so, it was still all 'AppleTalk'.
The cables were called 'AppleTalk' cables, talking 'AppleTalk' protocalls
to devices that understood AppleTalk.

Then the picture got more complex.  The transport and physical layers of
the network model started to change.  No longer were all the protocalls
strictly 'AppleTalk'.  No longer were all of the possible cabling systems
thin, twisted pair wiring.  Ethernet cards and cabling came along, and
started adding confusion (as well as speed) to the picture.  And to
differentiate things, Apple renamed some of the individual players that
together make up Apple's networking picture.

The card and circutry inside a machine that allows a Macintosh to send
AppleTalk protocalls over Ethernet wiring is called "EtherTalk" (as in,
"putting an Ethertalk card into your Mac II").  The cabling is called
"Ethernet" (as in, "connect those two Mac II's together with an
Ethernet cable").  What used to be known as "AppleTalk cabling" (the old
twisted pair stuff that connected Mac Plus-type machines to LaserWriters
in a network [not direct connect]) has been renamed "LocalTalk" (as in,
"connect these Mac Plus machines together with LocalTalk").

The term "AppleTalk" now refers to only the protocalls (the medium level
ones, like NBP, ATP, etc.), and the entire 'networking system' itself
(as in, "does that xyz PostScript printer speak AppleTalk?"; or "I've
got all the office machines talking to eachother via the AppleTalk
networking system").

Another addition that may have not gotten the press that the LocalTalk
name change has gotten is "AppleTalk services".  A service is something
provided over AppleTalk, above and beyond  the network itself.  For
instance, AppleShare is an AppleTalk service.  LaserShare is also an
AppleTalk service.  As are Intermail and In Box.  These services also
fall under the umbrella of "AppleTalk networking system".

Hope this clears things up...

Peter

rmh@apple.UUCP (Rick Holzgrafe) (02/10/88)

In article <5195@well.UUCP> mz@well.UUCP (Michael Zentner) writes:

>From another article I surmised that Localtalk is the Appletalk that
>allows direct connection of the Laserwriter to a Mac without the network.

Nope.  "LocalTalk" is the dialect of AppleTalk that is carried over those
familiar little white cables that plug into the back of your Mac. "EtherTalk"
is the dialect that is carried over EtherNet. They differ only in the
lower-level members of the protocol stack.

So "LocalTalk" is nothing strange - just a new name for the same old
AppleTalk-and-little-white-cables that all of you networkers have been
using for years.

Rick Holzgrafe			 | {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Communications Software Engineer | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1    rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.		 | "All opinions expressed are mine, and
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 27-Y	 | do not necessarily represent those of
Cupertino, CA 95014		 | my employer, Apple Computer Inc."