[comp.sys.mac] Sun 4/60?

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (02/09/88)

In article <41239@sun.uucp> guy@gorodish.Sun.COM (Guy Harris) writes:
> there will presumably be smallerfastercheapercuter Sun-4s at some point
> in the future, as there will presumably be smallerfastercheapercuter
> VAXstations, DNxxxx'es, Mac IIs, etc., etc., etc..

	Reading this, it occurs to me that in the entire progression from
the original 128K Mac to the Mac-II, the new introduced models have been
monotonicly increasing in just about any parameter you care to look at
(memory capacity, speed, price, etc).  Should be expect a change in the
future?  Of course, there has been a slow but steady decrease in list
prices of existing models, but that's not what I'm talking about.

	Sun seems to take the opposite approach; start with top-of-the-line
machines first and then undercut themselves with newer versions (like the
3/50 did to the 3/75).
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (02/09/88)

In article <3136@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>       Reading this, it occurs to me that in the entire progression from
>the original 128K Mac to the Mac-II, the new introduced models have been
>monotonicly increasing in just about any parameter you care to look at
>(memory capacity, speed, price, etc).  Should be expect a change in the
>future?  Of course, there has been a slow but steady decrease in list
>prices of existing models, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Well, rumor has it that the next model of Mac that will come out
is going to be positioned somewhere between the SE and the II, and
will support color in some degree (?????).  This would pretty
definitely be a downwards step...

Please do not ask me for details.  I don't even remember where I
heard this rumor.  I know nooothing.  Oh, btw, introduction around
3rd quarter '88...

(I have cut comp.arch out of the newsgroups line.  Down with
needless cross-posting!)

>Roy Smith, {allegra,cmcl2,philabs}!phri!roy
>System Administrator, Public Health Research Institute
>455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

(I really do know nothing, by the way.)

Rob Jellinghaus                | "This is not a RENTAL car...
jellinghaus@yale.edu           |  this is PRIVATELY owned!!"
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |
!..!ihnp4!hsi!yale!jellinghaus |               -- _True Stories_

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (02/11/88)

>Well, rumor has it that the next model of Mac that will come out
>is going to be positioned somewhere between the SE and the II, and
>will support color in some degree (?????).  This would pretty
>definitely be a downwards step...
>
>Please do not ask me for details.  I don't even remember where I
>heard this rumor.  I know nooothing.  Oh, btw, introduction around
>3rd quarter '88...

Both Info World and Computer Currents had articles about this.
Evidentally it is just a stripped down version of the Mac II,
aimed at the $5k - $6k range (whereas a "real" Mac II costs
upwards of $7k, list.  I think it's supposed to come out this summer.

-Ted