[comp.sys.mac] Rumor of new Apple video card & monitor

dplatt@coherent.uucp (Dave Platt) (02/10/88)

The 2/8/88 issue of InfoWorld has an interesting rumor concerning a
possible new video card and monitor for the Mac II allegedly being
developed by Apple.

Briefly:  the monitor, code-named "Fred", is a 21" monochrome display
supporting 256 levels of gray scale;  includes tilt/swivel stand, flat
tension mask for reduced glare, and comes in a "reduced-size case" (whatever
that means in a 21" monitor).  Resolution is reportedly 1280 by 1024.

The video card, code-named "Barney", features an on-board 68000 processor
which off-loads the graphics processing from the Mac II's CPU.  [QuickDraw
patches, anyone?].

"The unit" is expected to run $1600-$1800;  the article didn't say whether
the price is for the monitor alone, card alone, or both.  An Apple
spokesperson declined to confirm or deny the reports, citing Apple's
standard policy of not commenting on unannounced products.  Apple has
allegedly seeded samples of tthe monitor and card to some developers.

--

Dave Platt
  UUCP:	...!{ames,sun,uunet}!coherent!dplatt

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (02/11/88)

In article <1031@coherent.uucp> dplatt@coherent.uucp (Dave Platt) writes:
>Briefly:  the monitor, code-named "Fred", is a 21" monochrome display
>supporting 256 levels of gray scale;  includes tilt/swivel stand, flat
>tension mask for reduced glare, and comes in a "reduced-size case" (whatever
>that means in a 21" monitor).  Resolution is reportedly 1280 by 1024.

Sounds rather fishy to me - 'flat tension mask' is technology developed
by Zenith for COLOR CRTs - monochrome CRTs need no mask, and use no mask.
Another one for /dev/null, unless otherwise confirmed.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate