[comp.sys.mac] I Love Moire CDEV

lriggins@afit-ab.arpa (L. Maurice Riggins) (01/28/88)

In article <887@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> delaney@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (John Delaney) writes:
>I have just switched over from using Autoblack to Moire as a screen
>blanker. Not because I prefer Moire's artwork; I actually prefer
>Autoblack's. But because Moire is a CDEV. I like being able to control

I like Moire also; however, it conflicts with MenuClock on my SE.  Whenever
the art moves up into the area of the menu bar the clock block unblanks.
Further, if the art passes over the clock block, it's drawing is left there as
garbage til the next update.  I've never had this problem with AutoBlack so
it's back to good ole AB for a while to keep the entire screen blanked.

I don't know if this problem occurs with the MultiFinder icon in the menu bar.

Let me add my kudos for the documentation here also...It's great!

--

Maurice                lriggins@afit-ab.ARPA

hallett@hamlet.steinmetz (Jeff A. Hallett) (01/28/88)

In article <887@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> delaney@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (John Delaney) writes:

>All you INIT writers (and creaters of similar hacks)! How about changing
>your INITs to CDEVs? There is probably additional effort required for
>the interface, but they are much less intimidating because they are less
>opaque and more controlable.

Yes.  What I would like to see are some DA's floating around that
should be INIT's or CDEV's as well.  Front on my mind is the POPUP DA
that gives you pop up menus.  If that were an INIT or something else
automatically loaded at boot up, I'd be ecstatic.

Jeffrey A. Hallett                     | ARPA: hallett@ge-crd.arpa
Software Technology Program    	       | UUCP: desdemona!hallett@steinmetz.uucp
GE Corporate Research and Development  | (518) 387-5654
+--------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
|                            Credo Quia Absurdum Est                          |

hannon@clio.las.uiuc.edu (01/29/88)

waldman@endor.harvard.edu(Ben Waldman) writes in comp.sys.mac

>I just downloaded the Moire cdev from comp.binaries.mac, and it doesn't work!
>After showing its icon at startup, it beeps, indicating that something has
>gonw wrong, and when I try to open it from the control panel, it won't let me
>do anything - also, putting the mouse at the top right of the screen does
>nothing.
>
>I am running on an SE HD20 with System 4.2, and 1MB of RAM.
>
>I've tried removing all the other INITs from my system folder, and this didn't
>work, and then I tried putting the cdev on the System 4.1 disk that Apple
>supplied with my SE. The result was as described above.
>
>What could be wrong?
	I don't know if this is the problem, as you described trying it without
any other INITs in the system, but I discovered that the Moire cdev MUST load
before Suitcase does.  Normally this isn't a problem as cdev/inits load in
alphabetical order, but I had my Suitcase renamed as !Suitcase since I needed
it loaded before other INITs that I had.  The reason for this is that the Moire
cdev uses a DRVR (DA actually) that is not displayed as it's method for doing
the graphics, and that DRVR needs to be loaded before Suitcase does it things.

+                                   |                                      +
+  Leonard Rosenthol                |  USnail:   205 E. Healey  #33        +
+  LazerWare, inc.                  |            Champaign, Il  61820      +
+  GEnie: MACgician                 |                                      +
+  ARPA:  hannon@clio.las.uiuc.edu  |  Bitnet:   3FLOSDQ@UIUCNOSA.BITNET   +
+  {ihnp4|convex|pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!hannon                               +
+ Disclaimer #1: Since I own the company, I can say whatever I want, and   +
+                not be responsible for it!                                +
+                                                                          +
+ Disclaimer #2: Anything I say may be construed as being under the        +
+                jurisdiction of Disclaimer #1                             +

isle@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Ken Hancock) (01/31/88)

In article <3926@husc6.harvard.edu> waldman@endor.UUCP (benjamin Waldman) writes:
>I just downloaded the Moire cdev from comp.binaries.mac, and it doesn't work!
>After showing its icon at startup, it beeps, indicating that something has
>gonw wrong, and when I try to open it from the control panel, it won't let me
>do anything - also, putting the mouse at the top right of the screen does
>nothing.

Moire CDEV seems to have memory conflicts.  Try renaming it to "DMoire"
and restarting.  Worked for me after causing bombs while named "Moire".

Ken

--
Ken Hancock      UUCP: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
               BITNET: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

DISCLAIMER: If people weren't so sue-happy, I wouldn't need one!

merchant@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Peter Merchant) (02/01/88)

In article <276@afit-ab.arpa>, L. Maurice Riggins writes:
> I like Moire also; however, it conflicts with MenuClock on my SE.  Whenever
> the art moves up into the area of the menu bar the clock block unblanks.
> Further, if the art passes over the clock block, it's drawing is left there as
> garbage til the next update
>
> I don't know if this problem occurs with the MultiFinder icon in the menu bar.

I use it with MultiFinder although I recently turned it off and went back to
using the Stars DA because, under MultiFinder, it runs slowly.  The pattern
will move, then stop, then move, then stop, then move, then stop, etc.  It
doesn't look as impressive as when it runs without MultiFinder.

But screen updates seem to work fine.  I had no problem whatsoever.  Stars is
where the problems occur...
--
"He's lucky,                           Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)
 You're lucky,

kck@wdl1.UUCP (Karl C. Kelley) (02/02/88)

I have witnessed an interesting interaction of screen-blacking routines...at
home I run a 2.5MB Plus with multifinder and Susitcase...For grins I started
the stars DA because I was not certain that Pyro, which comes with suitcase,
would be started when I am sitting at finder level.  Later the pyro does start
up and looks perfectly normal.  The curious thing is that when I come back
and move the mouse, the pyro goes away and there is Stars, running in reverse
video, only now it ought to be called "Rocks", because it is all the little
black dots coming at me.  Not serious, I just duck them.
:

tom@iconsys.UUCP (Tom Kimpton) (02/08/88)

I have had some trouble with other programs that I attribute
to Moire, because that was the only thing to change.
They seem to mainly involve screen updating.

	1:  In Dark Castle the cursor started blinking, and I would get
	    copies of parts of the screen, under the mouse when I clicked,
	    on the next screen.

	2:  The selection marquee in Midipaint would sometimes not be
	    entirely erased after use, and sometimes bogus notes would
	    appear on the screen, apparently from other parts of the song.

Other than these, I love Moire. I like the 'V's the best.

BTW configuration = 2.5Meg SE20HD, stock 4.2/6.0 system, occaisionally running
Multifinder (but not when these problems occurred).
--
Tom Kimpton		    {ihnp4,uunet}!iconsys!tom
Icon International, Inc.    {ihnp4,psivax}!nrcvax!nrc-ut!iconsys!tom

isle@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Ken Hancock) (02/11/88)

In article <202@iconsys.UUCP> tom@iconsys.UUCP (Tom Kimpton) writes:

>I have had some trouble with other programs that I attribute
>to Moire, because that was the only thing to change.
>They seem to mainly involve screen updating.

Yet another one.  Dialog boxes.  Moire does not re-blank the screen...

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                        |    UUCP: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Personal Computing Ctr. Consultant |  BITNET: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu