[comp.sys.mac] Suitcase versus Font/DA Juggler

steele@thorin.cs.unc.edu (Oliver Steele) (01/13/88)

I've seen a lot of recommendations for Suitcase and none
for Font/DA Juggler.  Is there anyone on the net whose
used both and can give us a comparison?

Oliver Steele				  ...!{decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!unc!steele
UNC-CH LING Senior					   steele@cs.unc.edu

Life is a negative-sum game.

Ray_Ray_Davidson@cup.portal.com (01/20/88)

ALSoft was showing a new version of Font/DA Juggler - F/DA J Plus - at Expo.

In a word (or a few) it is better than Suitcase. (I own both the programs. I
bought Suitcase after seeing lots of favorable comments, and used it
extensively with no problems, but Font/DA Juggler blows it away. I bought it at
Expo)

First, F/DA J is MF compatible, allowing opening and closing fonts and DAs
under MF. (Suitcase is coming out with a free upgrade Real Soon Now.) It only
allows 10 files to be open at once, so you have to pack individual fonts and
DAs together.  (I believe this restriction applies to Suitcase, too). It allows easy access to FKEYs (not quite as easy as Font Key
Manager, but installation is easier). You can use F/DA J to choose the system
beep. (in an easier manner than with IBeep2). Files to be opened can be
anywhere on the disk, as opposed to in specific folders in the system folder,
as required with Suitcase. (This is not a tremendous advantage; the system
folder is the obvious place to keep them.) It includes a utility to resolve
font numbering conflicts - real handy if you have lots of fonts. It allows easy
display of available fonts in that font (like MenuFonts) and in any style
(bold, italic, etc., unlike MenuFonts). It has facility for compressing fonts
to save disk space; fonts are automatically decompressed when needed.

There's a pretty long list of features for Font/DA Juggler Plus. If you want to
know if it does something in particular, just ask. Since Suitcase is about the
same price, I would say that Font/DA Juggler is by far the better value. (I
voted with my wallet on this one.) One wonders why Suitcase (which is certainly
 a fine program) has gotten all the press, even winning a MacUser award, and
Font/DA Juggler has been virtually un-talked about in the press. Maybe because
Software Supply (maker of Suitcase) is here in CA, and ALSoft is in TX?

BTW, F/DA J is an INIT that you just drag to the system folder, like Suitcase.

Standard disclaimer: I have no connection with either ALSoft or Software Supply
other than being a satisfied customer of both, and giving them both more money
than my wife would like.

Ray Davidson
UUCP : ...sun!cup.portal.com!ray_ray_davidson
CIS : 71121,572
GENie : raydavidson

Snail Mail:
22422 Walnut Circle South, #A
Cupertino CA 95014

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (01/23/88)

In article <2584@cup.portal.com> Ray_Ray_Davidson@cup.portal.com writes:
>Since Suitcase is about the
>same price, I would say that Font/DA Juggler is by far the better value. (I
>voted with my wallet on this one.) One wonders why Suitcase (which is certainly
> a fine program) has gotten all the press, even winning a MacUser award, and
>Font/DA Juggler has been virtually un-talked about in the press. Maybe because
>Software Supply (maker of Suitcase) is here in CA, and ALSoft is in TX?

A more probable reason is that Suitcase was released ~ 6 months before
Font/DA Juggler.

            "Time is money and money can't buy you love and I love your outfit"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (;;;;YF37) (01/24/88)

In article <2721@fluke.COM> moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) writes:
>In article <2584@cup.portal.com> Ray_Ray_Davidson@cup.portal.com writes:
>>Since Suitcase is about the
>>same price, I would say that Font/DA Juggler is by far the better value. (I
>>voted with my wallet on this one.) One wonders why Suitcase (which is certainly
>> a fine program) has gotten all the press, even winning a MacUser award, and
>>Font/DA Juggler has been virtually un-talked about in the press. Maybe because
>>Software Supply (maker of Suitcase) is here in CA, and ALSoft is in TX?
>
>A more probable reason is that Suitcase was released ~ 6 months before
>Font/DA Juggler.

Also, since Suitcase comes with the Pyro!, it got additional press for
including one of the best (if not the best) screen blanking utilities
ever.

Edward Moy
Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

swofford@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/25/88)

	I'm curious to find out if Font/DA Juggler is easily customizable. What
I would like to know is if, like suitcase, I can have it load ANY type of
resource file type, not just Font's, DA's, and FKEY's.  One of the addt'l
types that I have my verssion of Suitcase patched to handle (using the method
documented in the Suitcase manual) aare the International Resources. I do a lot
of work with the Script Manager and it's resources normally require being in
the System file to work.  But with Suitcase, I can put them in my Suitcase
Folder and let Suitcase load them up and keep my system clean.
	So, nu, can it handle other resource types like Suitcase can??

+                                   |                                      +
+  Leonard Rosenthol                |  USnail:   205 E. Healey  #33        +
+  Halevai Software                 |            Champaign, Il  61820      +
+  GEnie: MACgician                 |                                      +
+  ARPA:  swofford@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu |  Bitnet:   3FLOSDQ@UIUCNOSA.BITNET   +
+                                   |                                      +
+ Disclaimer #1: Since I own the company, I can say whatever I want, and   +
+                not be responsible for it!                                +
+                                                                          +
+ Disclaimer #2: Anything I say may be construed as being under the        +
+                jurisdiction of Disclaimer #1                             +

Ray_Ray_Davidson@cup.portal.com (01/28/88)

Font/DA
Juggler, Moriarty (Jeff Meyer) suggests
"A more probable reason is that Suitcase was released ~ 6 months before
Font/DA Juggler."

I'm pretty sure that Suitcase was introduced at the Boston show in August (I
know it was the hit of the show) and I think that F/DA J was introduced there
too. The fellow from ALSoft told me they were introduced at the same time, and
there is an ad for F/DA J in the September MacUser. Course it could have still
been vaporous then...

Ray Davidson
CIS : 71121,572
GENie : raydavidson

isle@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Ken Hancock) (01/28/88)

In article <2584@cup.portal.com> Ray_Ray_Davidson@cup.portal.com writes:
>ALSoft was showing a new version of Font/DA Juggler - F/DA J Plus - at Expo.
>
>In a word (or a few) it is better than Suitcase. (I own both the programs. I
>bought Suitcase after seeing lots of favorable comments, and used it
>extensively with no problems, but Font/DA Juggler blows it away. I bought it at
>Expo)

After using both, I would have to agree.  I switched over to Font/DA Juggler
Plus.  The font list is one of the nicest features -- gives you a list on
the screen of each font -USING THE FONT-.  Don't know which font to choose?
It'll show you what each looks like.  The Beep sounds is very nice also --
I'd recommend getting the Sound->Snd converter from INFO-MAC archives.
Works with QuicKeys and everything else, allows you to insert a cmd-key
equivalent for opening up F/DA Juggler.

Ken

Disclaimer:  I beta-tested for Font/DA Juggler v2.0.  Back then I would have
             gone with Suitcase.  Not anymore...

--
Ken Hancock      UUCP: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu
               BITNET: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu

DISCLAIMER: If people weren't so sue-happy, I wouldn't need one!

hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Robert Joseph Hammen) (01/29/88)

In article <2747@cup.portal.com> Ray_Ray_Davidson@cup.portal.com writes:
>Font/DA Juggler, Moriarty (Jeff Meyer) suggests

>"A more probable reason is that Suitcase was released ~ 6 months before
>Font/DA Juggler."
>
>I'm pretty sure that Suitcase was introduced at the Boston show in August (I
>know it was the hit of the show) and I think that F/DA J was introduced there
>too. The fellow from ALSoft told me they were introduced at the same time, and
>there is an ad for F/DA J in the September MacUser. Course it could have still
>been vaporous then...

Font/DA Juggler was around during the Boston show. However, it has gone through
at least two versions before its current one. As originally introduced, I
believe that it allowed you to load 'sets' of DAs, not unlimited DAs. I think
that they then released a 2.0 version that added some functionality to the
product, and then the Font/DA Juggler Plus product that was just announced at
San Francisco. So, it's taken them some time to get the functionality of
Suitcase. Of course, I heard rumors of a Suitcase 1.2 coming RSN, so the
battle heats up...

Robert Hammen		Computer Applications	hammen@csd4.milw.wisc.edu
Delphi: HAMMEN		GEnie: R.Hammen		CI$: 70701,2104

Ray_Ray_Davidson@cup.portal.com (02/08/88)

I'm not sure if F/DA J can handle other resources, such as the INTL resource.
I'm sure that a call to ALSoft would answer that question. (713 353-1510).

I do know that Suitcase has one feature that F/DA J doesn't; it uses a
proprietary algorithm to sort the available fonts alphabetically which works
faster than Apple's Menu Manager. I don't know any details, so please don't ask
I saw this info on CompuServe, and I have experienced it myself, since I own
both products. I use F/DA J, though, the time savings is only in starting apps,
and I generally don't change applications much. miniWriter is slow in coming
up, though.

Ray Davidson
CIS : 71121,572
GENie : raydavidson
UUCP : ...sun!cup.portal.com!ray_ray_davidson
Snail Mail:
22422 Walnut Circle South, #A
Cupertino CA 95014

Ray_Ray_Davidson@cup.portal.com (02/08/88)

Suitcase V1.2 is available now. I saw it this afternoon at ComputerWare. I have
no info on what the changes are, though I understood from Steve Brecher that
the only change was to be the ability to open and close DA and font files under
multifinder.

Ray Davidson
CIS : 71121,572
GENie : raydavidson

isle@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Ken Hancock) (02/11/88)

In article <3021@cup.portal.com> Ray_Ray_Davidson@cup.portal.com writes:
>I'm not sure if F/DA J can handle other resources, such as the INTL resource.
>I'm sure that a call to ALSoft would answer that question. (713 353-1510).
>
>I do know that Suitcase has one feature that F/DA J doesn't; it uses a
>proprietary algorithm to sort the available fonts alphabetically which works
>faster than Apple's Menu Manager.

F/DA Juggler sorts the fonts alphabetically as well.  Which is faster, I
can't really say, though it hasn't really bothered me either way.  Personal
preference is F/DA Juggler, though.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                        |    UUCP: isle@eleazar.dartmouth.edu