[comp.sys.mac] Apple System Software Available on Portal

Phil_CW_Sih@cup.portal.com (02/09/88)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
-
-
-
     NEW MACINTOSH SIG ON PORTAL IS LOWEST COST WAY TO GET
                    NEW APPLE SYSTEM SOFTWARE
-
Cupertino, Calif., February 8, 1988 -- Portal Communications
announced today that the Phoenix Macintosh SIG (special interest
group) available on the Portal System(TM) now has available for
downloading the new Apple Macintosh system software.  Some of the
programs available for downloading include:

               Clipboard                Keyboard 3.2
               Color 3.2                Monitors 3.2
               DA Handler 1.0           Mouse 3.2
               Easy Access 1.0          MultiFinder 1.0
               Finder 6.0               Scrapbook 2.3
               General 3.2              Sound 3.2
               Key Layout 2.2           Startup Device 3.2
                                        System 4.2
-
The Phoenix Macintosh SIG is independently run by two system
operators (sysops), Bob Murrow and Mark Cookson.  "I think Portal
is going to be the fastest and lowest cost way Mac users can get
this software.  It's certainly going to be a lot less expensive
than any of the other online services or even buying the disks
from Apple," says Murrow.  Phoenix also boasts a large collection
of Hyperstacks, the "software" used by the new Apple Hypercard
program.  "We've probably got the largest collection of
Hyperstacks in the country and because of the resources of the
Portal System, Bob and I don't have to worry about running out of
disk space," said Cookson.  Both sysops can be reached via
electronic mail on Portal.
-
Portal Communications provides online communications service for
companies, organizations, and individuals.  The Portal System(TM)
is an all-purpose online communications network which includes
electronic mail , on-line conferences, matching, a type of
introduction service, and computer meetings, a form of real-time
computer party line. Typical applications include customer
support, user group communications, electronic bulletin boards,
advertising, and information distribution. Portal provides
connections to many other networks including Usenet, an
international conferencing network, and to UUCP, ARPA, BITNET and
other mail networks.  Portal may be reached by modem for
information or online signup at 408/725-0561 (300/1200/2400 bps),
or through the Telenet public data network (c portal or c
portal,id,pw for pursuit users).  Telephone inquires should be
directed to 408/973-9111.
-
                              (30)

Portal Communications Company
19720 Auburn Drive
Cupertino, CA 95014
Contact:
Phil Sih 408/973-9111 (voice)
         408/725-0561 (data)
phil_sih@cup.portal.com
sun!portal!cup.portal.com!phil_sih

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (02/12/88)

In article <3039@cup.portal.com> Phil_CW_Sih@cup.portal.com writes:
>-
>     NEW MACINTOSH SIG ON PORTAL IS LOWEST COST WAY TO GET
>                    NEW APPLE SYSTEM SOFTWARE

Isn't there some body of rules which prohibit blatantly commercial
postings on Usenet?  This posting is a pure advertisement for the
Portal system, a for-profit, fee-based system.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate