[comp.sys.mac] StuffIt 1.31 Problem - can't locate

raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) (01/27/88)

Let me point out that StuffIt 1.31 uses the exact same File Manager routines
that previous versions used.  All the changes have been in the compression
algorithms.  In light of this, I cannot see how 1.31 can corrupt a HD when
1.20 didn't.  Furthermore, these routines are restricted to PBCreate,
PBOpen,PBOpenRF,PBClose,PBSetEOF,PBRead,PBWrite,PBSetFPos,PBDelete,PBGetFInfo,
PBSetFInfo...and I believe that's it.  Realize that all of these are
relatively "safe" routines.  None of them deal directly with VCBs or other
sensitive structures which may cause a folder to be "unopenable".  About
the only reason, besides trashed system structures, which may make a
folder undeletable would be leaving an open WD.  I cannot find such an
occurrence, and even if I did, rebooting closes the WD and file utilities
know how to handle it.  There's always leaving a file opened, another occur-
rence I can't locate - and that is also fixed on reboot.

Furthermore, I myself use the program a lot....and solely from a HD.  Either
off my HD21 (MacBottom) or the DD80 (Jasmine).  No problems.  I know someone
who frequently archives stacks, sound files and other not-so-commonly used
files off his Apple 40 on a II to floppies.  Again, no problem.

As to the problems Mr. Long has experienced.... the unopenable folders, undelet-
able stuff, etc. were probably a result of the HD crash.  That is usually
what causes such problems.  As to the actual cause of the crash, I am at
a lost for explanation....  But while I'm at it, I would also like to question
from where he obtained StuffIt 1.31.  A while ago, a rather isolated incident
occurred.  Someone had tinkered with a copy of 1.10 and sent it to some bbs
around Boston.  The copy was altered to disrupt operation of the HD....
I say in the Boston area bec. all complaints came from people in MA.  When
I sent them a fresh copy of 1.10, all went well.  But the number of instances
was very low...only 4 people.  I am not trying to pass the blame onto someone
else, but am merely mentioning possibilities.  (Which is all I can mention
as I cannot, nor can anyone I know, duplicate a HD trashing session.)

--
Raymond Lau                       GEnie: RayLau
100-04 70 Ave.                    CIS: 76174,2617

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (Chris Cooley) (02/10/88)

In article <2727@dasys1.UUCP>, raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) writes:

> Let me point out that StuffIt 1.31 uses the exact same File Manager routines
> that previous versions used.  All the changes have been in the compression
> algorithms.  In light of this, I cannot see how 1.31 can corrupt a HD when
> 1.20 didn't.  Furthermore, these routines are restricted to PBCreate,
> PBOpen,PBOpenRF,PBClose,PBSetEOF,PBRead,PBWrite,PBSetFPos,PBDelete,PBGetFInfo,
> PBSetFInfo...and I believe that's it.  Realize that all of these are
> relatively "safe" routines.  None of them deal directly with VCBs or other
> sensitive structures which may cause a folder to be "unopenable".  About

I've just discovered a bug (or something) in StuffIt 1.31.  It happens almost
every time with a .sit file with more than one document stuffed.  The StuffIt
program itself is about 3-4 folders deep on an AppleShare volume.  The .sit
file is in the root of a floppy.  The destination is in a folder at least
one deep on another floppy.

Bug description?  After I've selected more than one thing to un-.sit, it
gives the compress/extract window and starts on the files.  Then it just
hangs.  Nothing works, not even the mouse.  Rebooting fixes things.  This
has happened several times.

Any suggestions?

Thanx

					--chris

--
      /---------------------------------v------------------------------\
     (    J. Chris Cooley 		|[mailpaths under construction]	)

raylau@dasys1.UUCP (Raymond Lau) (02/12/88)

> program itself is about 3-4 folders deep on an AppleShare volume.  The .sit
> file is in the root of a floppy.  The destination is in a folder at least
> one deep on another floppy.
>
> Bug description?  After I've selected more than one thing to un-.sit, it
> gives the compress/extract window and starts on the files.  Then it just
> hangs.  Nothing works, not even the mouse.  Rebooting fixes things.  This
> has happened several times.
>
> Thanx
> 					--chris
The problem with Appleshare volumes has been corrected in an interim version
which I am distributing in a limited manner.  (I do not want to go to a full
public distribution until I reach 1.40..which will have an improved multiple
add, incl. support of wildcards, small speed up's and probably encryption.)

Unfortunately, I do not have an AppleShare system here - or I would've caught
the problem long ago.