[comp.sys.mac] Saleability of MS Word 1.05?

fordjm@byuvax.bitnet (02/05/88)

Can anyone tell me whether it is permissible for users of Microsoft Word
1.05 who have upgraded to 3.whatever to sell someone their old copy of 1.05?
Is there a way for people to legally obtain cpies of 1.05 from these users
or from Microsoft for a reduced price?

John M. Ford   (*Not* the SF author)
fordjm@byuvax.bitnet

chuq@plaid.Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (02/07/88)

>Can anyone tell me whether it is permissible for users of Microsoft Word
>1.05 who have upgraded to 3.whatever to sell someone their old copy of 1.05?
>Is there a way for people to legally obtain cpies of 1.05 from these users
>or from Microsoft for a reduced price?

No. You own a license to one copy of the program. When you upgrade to 3.0,
you're transfering that license to the new release, not buying a new
program. Still have only one legal copy, so you can't sell the old
version.

>John M. Ford   (*Not* the SF author)

Gee, I love your books! *gush*

Chuq Von Rospach			chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

                       What do you mean 'You don't really want to hurt her?'
                                    I'm a Super-Villain! That's my Schtick!

Michael_Alan_Casteel@cup.portal.com (02/10/88)

Sorry, I couldn't stand a reply to the question "can I sell my old, outmoded
Word 1.05 to someone else when I buy Word 3.0?", except in the enthusiastic
affirmative!!   YES!! Sell it, if you can find a buyer!!!

The legalese of the license agreement may SEEM to prohibit it, but then,
legalese is designed to mean different things to different people; so, we
normal humans revert to "common sense", "fair play", and similar outmoded
modes.  If I bought a "license" to use "X" on "one computer at a time", and
decided that I would NEVER use it on ANY computer again, then it's time to
sell the "right" to use it on "one computer" to someone who might.

Lawyers can debate this until the cows come home, but then, lawyers are born
to debate things.  Meanwhile, I'll sell any software that I have and won't
use any more, if I still have enough of it to make a marketable package.  Sad
for me, I've usually lost the manual  AND the master disk, and nobody I know
wants the crummy stuff anyway.

Mike Casteel

mac@cup.portal.com
CIS 76174,2461
No clever anecdotes.  Please don't sue me.

fordjm@byuvax.bitnet (02/13/88)

My main point in asking about this in the first place was to find out if
their was some way to *buy* MS Word 1.o5 for a reduced price or something.

John Ford
fordjm@byuvax.bitnet         (*Not* the SF author.)

isle@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Ken Hancock) (02/13/88)

In article <3080@cup.portal.com> Michael_Alan_Casteel@cup.portal.com writes:
>Sorry, I couldn't stand a reply to the question "can I sell my old, outmoded
>Word 1.05 to someone else when I buy Word 3.0?", except in the enthusiastic
>affirmative!!   YES!! Sell it, if you can find a buyer!!!
>
>The legalese of the license agreement may SEEM to prohibit it, but then,
>legalese is designed to mean different things to different people; so, we
>normal humans revert to "common sense", "fair play", and similar outmoded
>modes.

NO!  By upgrading for a smaller fee, you merely EXTEND your liscening
agreement to cover Word 3.01.  Legally, you are NOT allowed to sell
an old copy.  It would be the same thing as making a copy of your
Word 3.01 disk and selling that.  If you wanted to sell your copy of
1.05, you should have bought a BRAND NEW COPY of Word 3.01 with a
SEPARATE liscensing agreement.  Two copies, you're entitled to sell
one.

FLAME ON
The idiocy of your statement "legalese is designed to mean different
things to different people" appalls me.  You're merely reading the
liscensing agreement and making out of it what YOU WANT, not what
it is.
FLAME OFF

Ken

--