[comp.sys.mac] AutoSave DA

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/12/88)

/* Written  3:27 pm  Feb  8, 1988 by west@bnrmtv.UUCP in uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac */
/* ---------- "AutoSave DA" ---------- */

Has anyone had any experience with the AutoSave DA from Magic
Software?  It has been on sale (by special order only for the last
couple of months) from ComputerWare in Palo Alto, CA, for quite a
while but has recently been "dicontinued." I can't find it from any of
the common mail order companies.

I saw an ad in the March 1988 issue of MacUser advertising the program
for $49.95 directly from the company.  However, since nobody else
seems to be carrying it, I'm wondering if the program has a problem or
is buggy.

Although I would be interested in any problems, I am primarily curious
about AutoSave DA under Excel, Word and MacDraft.

I am also curious if there are any public domain or shareware programs
which automatically save your files after a set amount of time or a
set number of keystrokes?

					     Thanks,

					     Andrew West
			   {hplabs, amdahl} ...!bnrmtv!west

--

					     Andrew West
			    {hplabs, amdahl} ...!bnrmtv!west

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (02/12/88)

west@bnrmtv.UUCP(Andrew West) writes in comp.sys.mac

>Has anyone had any experience with the AutoSave DA from Magic
>Software?  It has been on sale (by special order only for the last
>couple of months) from ComputerWare in Palo Alto, CA, for quite a
>while but has recently been "dicontinued." I can't find it from any of
>the common mail order companies.
>
> [...........]
>
>I am also curious if there are any public domain or shareware programs
>which automatically save your files after a set amount of time or a
>set number of keystrokes?

	There is a public domain DA called Savior which will do exactly what you
wish.  It allows you to set the delay between saves, which key is used for
saving (if the application doesn't use Cmd-S, you can set it to whatever you
want), and a couple of other useful functions.  I haven't used it in a while,
but the product was quite well done and the author's reputation for good
products proceeds him.
	Hope that helps.

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +                                   +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +                                   +
+                                 +                                   +

mw2k+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Asher Weissman) (02/13/88)

Andrew West  {hplabs, amdahl} ...!bnrmtv!west writes:

> Has anyone had any experience with the AutoSave DA from Magic Software? ...
> I saw an ad in the March 1988 issue of MacUser advertising the program for
> $49.95 directly from the company.

	Since few people on the net seem to have experience with Savior
(although most know about it), I have decided to voice my opinion.

First let me state that the only info I have about AutoSave is the MacUser
Advertisement.  The advertisement basically states that it has all these great
features.  From what I gather, Savior has more!  not to mention that It can
use any item on any menu (All one has to do is specify the name of the menu
item or actually choose it while the Savior dialog box is up)

Savior will activate after:	X number of Key and mouse clicks
				and	Y number of seconds
				and	Z number of seconds of inactivity

I think Savior is what you want.  Don't waste your money on AutoSave!!!

			- Miles Weissman
MW2K@Andrew.cmu.edu
Carnegie Mellon University
Acting President CMU MUG