[comp.sys.mac] Apparent bug in System 4.2 deadkeys

kb@umnstat.UUCP (Christopher Bingham) (02/13/88)

I just noticed a problem I haven't seen mentioned before with System 4.2
(Finder 6.0, pretty vanilla DA's, no added inits, etc.).  With System 3.2
and earlier, if you repeated a dead key (say option n, option n) you got the
diacritical mark (in this case ~) by itself.  Thus (option i, option i) =
"^", (option u, option u) = umlaut, (option e, option e) = acute accent,
etc.  The next character typed was treated normally.  Thus (option n,option n,x)
gave ~x.  With System 4.2 this seqence gives ~~x, the second "~" appearing
when "x" is typed. The same thing happens with the other dead keys ( option
i, option i, x gives ^^x, etc.).

Since I make heavy use of the Princeton Math fonts which map all the
combinations to symbols, this is causing problems.  Does anyone know of a
fix or work around (other than the obvious one of typing, e.g., option e,
option e, backspace, x, which does give ~x)?

C. Bingham, Applied Statistics, U of Minnesota
...!ihnp4!umn-cs!umnstat!kb
kb@umnstat.stat.umn.edu
kb%umnstat@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

In article <370@umnstat.UUCP>, kb@umnstat.UUCP (Christopher Bingham) writes:
> I just noticed a problem I haven't seen mentioned before with System 4.2
> With System 3.2
> and earlier, if you repeated a dead key (say option n, option n) you got the
> diacritical mark (~) by itself.  The next character typed was treated
> normally.  Thus (option n,option n,x) gave ~x.  With System 4.2 this sequence
> gives ~~x, the second "~" appearing when "x" is typed. The same thing
> happens with the other dead keys.
>
> C. Bingham, Applied Statistics, U of Minnesota

I just realized that this is a feature, not a bug, resulting in fewer
keystrokes.  To get ~x one justs types (option n, x).

My mistake.

C. Bingham
...!ihnp4!umn-cs!umnstat!kb
kb@umnstat.stat.umn.edu
kb%umnstat@umn-cs.cs.umn.edu

tecot@apple.UUCP (Ed Tecot) (02/14/88)

In article <370@umnstat.UUCP> kb@umnstat.UUCP (Christopher Bingham) writes:
>I just noticed a problem I haven't seen mentioned before with System 4.2
>(Finder 6.0, pretty vanilla DA's, no added inits, etc.).  With System 3.2
>and earlier, if you repeated a dead key (say option n, option n) you got the
>diacritical mark (in this case ~) by itself.  Thus (option i, option i) =
>"^", (option u, option u) = umlaut, (option e, option e) = acute accent,
>etc.  The next character typed was treated normally.  Thus (option n,option n,x)
>gave ~x.  With System 4.2 this seqence gives ~~x, the second "~" appearing
>when "x" is typed. The same thing happens with the other dead keys ( option
>i, option i, x gives ^^x, etc.).
>
>Since I make heavy use of the Princeton Math fonts which map all the
>combinations to symbols, this is causing problems.  Does anyone know of a
>fix or work around (other than the obvious one of typing, e.g., option e,
>option e, backspace, x, which does give ~x)?

As they say, "It's not a bug, it's a feature." :-)

In this case, it really is a feature, I intentionally changed dead keys to
work this way.  The reason for this is that it reduces the number of
keystrokes required for some cases, while not increasing the number of
keystrokes required for any other case.  Here is a table:

Result			Keystroke (3.2)		Keystroke (4.2)
^			Opt-i space		Opt-i space
^e (one character)	Opt-i e			Opt-i e
^e (two characters)	Opt-i space e		Opt-i space e
^^e			Opt-i space Opt-i e	Opt-i Opt-i e

As to your problem.  Use opt-i space instead of opt-i opt-i; it really
makes more sense if you think about it a little.

						_emt