[comp.sys.mac] key mapping on SE regular terminals

yum@faline.bellcore.com (George Yum) (02/04/88)

I use my SE with a regular keyboard very often as a terminal.
One thing bothers me is that I see the control key and the esc key on my
keyboard but I have to use the apple command key for the control key and
command-{ for the esc key.  I don't know if there is anyway install the
functions of the control and the esc keys on the keys that are so labelled.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion.

George

Lou@cup.portal.com (02/13/88)

yum@faline.bellcore.com (George Yum) writes:

>I use my SE with a regular keyboard very often as a
>terminal.  One thing bothers me is that I see the control
>key and the esc key on my  keyboard but I have to use the
>apple command key for the control key and  command-{ for the
>esc key.  I don't know if there is anyway install the
>functions of the control and the esc keys on the keys that
>are so labelled.
>

>Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion.
>
>George

What software are you using fo your communications?? Red Ryder 10.3
will, for example, happily process the esc and control key on Apple's
new ADB keyboards.

You need not use the command and option keys for these functions.
(I just wish that there was an option not to use either, and
get control of those keys back for keyboard shortcuts and special
characters!)

dowdy@apple.UUCP (Tom Dowdy) (02/15/88)

yum@faline.bellcore.com (George Yum) writes:
>I use my SE with a regular keyboard very often as a
>terminal.  One thing bothers me is that I see the control
>key and the esc key on my  keyboard but I have to use the
>apple command key for the control key and  command-{ for the
>esc key.  I don't know if there is anyway install the
>functions of the control and the esc keys on the keys that
>are so labelled.

What version of MacTerminal are you using?

MacTerminal 2.2 correctly uses the <ESC> key on ADB keyboards, as well as
allowing either the control or command key to be used for <control>.

It should be available from your dealer as a free upgrade by bringing
in your original disks.  At least, that's how I think it's supposed to work.

  Tom Dowdy                 CSNET:    dowdy@apple.CSNET
  Apple Computer MS:27Y     AppleLink:DOWDY1
  20525 Mariani Ave         UUCP:     {sun,voder,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!dowdy
  Cupertino, CA 95014
  "The 'Oo-Ah' Bird is so called because it lays square eggs."