[comp.sys.mac] Mac Music

KSN@PSUVM.BITNET (Peter A. Krupa) (02/11/88)

I looking for a good music composer/player program.  I have an early
version of Concertware, but its limited to sixteenth notes.  Ideally,
I'd like music software that can manage sixty-fourth notes, and be
MIDI compatible.  Any suggestions?
-------
FROM PSUVM: VM VM/CMS, MONDAY, 8-FEB-1988 16:30
FROM PSUVM:
FROM PSUVM: KSN (Peter A. Krupa, a.k.a. Spiny_Norman) is not logged in.
FROM PSUVM:  Last logged in: Monday, 8-FEB-1988 16:26
FROM PSUVM:  Mail: (no new mail)
FROM PSUVM:  Plan:
FROM PSUVM:        To discover the fractal nature of reality.
FROM PSUVM:
FROM PSUVM: Finger Command complete

tom@iconsys.UUCP (Tom Kimpton) (02/16/88)

In article <32631KSN@PSUVM> KSN@PSUVM.BITNET (Peter A. Krupa) writes:
>I looking for a good music composer/player program.  I have an early
>version of Concertware, but its limited to sixteenth notes.  Ideally,
>I'd like music software that can manage sixty-fourth notes, and be
>MIDI compatible.  Any suggestions?

I bought MidiPaint last weekend, with a Professional Plus MIDI interface.
If you can overlook some of it's deficiencies and idiosycrasies, it's
a really nice program.  16 channels of output, and unlimited song length
(or 999 measures, I'm a little confused here).  You paint songs with
either of two paint brushes, one quantized, the paints from button down
to button up.  The paint display shows a piano keyboard oriented vertically
along the left edge of the window, with the tool pallette to the left of the
window.  Vertical dimension is pitch, horizontal is duration.  A song thus
looks like a piano roll.  Quantized notes are 128th's to quarters, with dotteds
and triplets in between (nothing larger, one of the irksome things).
Lots of MIDI events stuff, can record incoming. LOTS of features.  But
many quirks, look at it before you buy it.

I like it, but I'd like to see some changes.
--
Tom Kimpton		    {ihnp4,uunet}!iconsys!tom
Icon International, Inc.    {ihnp4,psivax}!nrcvax!nrc-ut!iconsys!tom