[comp.sys.mac] Mac -> stereo

glassner@unc.cs.unc.edu (Andrew S. Glassner) (02/03/88)

I'd like to hear my Mac on my stereo, but the fellow at the computer
shop said I should not simply use a cable with the appropriate plugs
at the two ends (mono 1/8" to 1/4"), though he couldn't justify this
claim.  He did make doom and thunder sounds should I be foolish enough
to ignore his words (okay, too many spooky games!).

Can I connect my Mac Plus to my stereo?  How?

Thanks!
-Andrew

   - -- ---- ------- ------------ -------------------- ---------------------
Andrew Glassner    UUCP:decvax!mcnc!unc!glassner    ARPA:glassner@cs.unc.edu

vespa@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Adam Alexander Margulies) (02/03/88)

In article <1006@thorin.cs.unc.edu> glassner@unc.cs.unc.edu (Andrew S. Glassner) writes:
>I'd like to hear my Mac on my stereo, but the fellow at the computer
>shop said I should not simply use a cable with the appropriate plugs
>at the two ends (mono 1/8" to 1/4"), though he couldn't justify this
>claim.  He did make doom and thunder sounds should I be foolish enough
>to ignore his words (okay, too many spooky games!).
>
>Can I connect my Mac Plus to my stereo?  How?
>
>Thanks!
>-Andrew
>
>   - -- ---- ------- ------------ -------------------- ---------------------
>Andrew Glassner    UUCP:decvax!mcnc!unc!glassner    ARPA:glassner@cs.unc.edu

	I would simply buy two cables of the appropriate sizes, cut them
and then splice them. I can't imagine an impedance problem, especially
if the stereo is a decent one. Of course, should you blow your computer
up, you didn't hear it here.

                                        ____________________________________
                                       /\\                                  \
                                      /  \\                                  \
                                     /    \\                                  \
                                    /______\ ----------------------------------\
       I said, type it NOW, Adam!  ||       ||Adam Margulies                   |
                                 \ ||       ||                                 |
                                   ||_   /| ||ARPA:   vespa@ucscb.ucsc.edu     |
                                   ||\`o_O' ||BITNET: vespa@ucsci.BITNET       |
                                   ||  ( )  ||UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ssyx!vespa|
-----------------------------------||--mU-m-||                                 |
|DISCLAIMER:                                || ATT: (408)429-8868              |
|                                           \|----------------------------------
|      These are NOT my opinions. They are my dog's. He MADE me type this.     |

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (02/03/88)

In article <1006@thorin.cs.unc.edu> glassner@unc.cs.unc.edu (Andrew S. Glassner) writes:
>Can I connect my Mac Plus to my stereo?  How?

Radio shack has the appropriate plug.  We connected ours up, but...
none of the sounds we have are in stereo, so what exactly are you
going to listen to?  (A clink-clank in stereo would be cute.)
Until some stereo software comes out, you won't be able to take
advantage of it.

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (02/03/88)

In article <1006@thorin.cs.unc.edu> glassner@unc.cs.unc.edu (Andrew S. Glassner) writes:
>I'd like to hear my Mac on my stereo, but the fellow at the computer
>shop said I should not simply use a cable with the appropriate plugs
>at the two ends (mono 1/8" to 1/4"), though he couldn't justify this
>claim.  He did make doom and thunder sounds should I be foolish enough
>to ignore his words (okay, too many spooky games!).

>Can I connect my Mac Plus to my stereo?  How?

I connected mine exactly as you describe.  That was about two years
ago and I haven't had any problems at all.  Except, of course, that
the startup beep is thunderous as it doesn't observe the PRAM volume
setting.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak) (02/04/88)

In article <1006@thorin.cs.unc.edu> glassner@unc.cs.unc.edu (Andrew S. Glassner) writes:
>I'd like to hear my Mac on my stereo, but the fellow at the computer
>shop said I should not simply use a cable with the appropriate plugs
>at the two ends (mono 1/8" to 1/4"), though he couldn't justify this
>claim.  He did make doom and thunder sounds should I be foolish enough
>to ignore his words (okay, too many spooky games!).
>
>Can I connect my Mac Plus to my stereo?  How?

I have successfully (and safely) hooked up my Mac Plus to my stereo, with _no_
untoward efffects at all.

A few things to note: If you want sound out of both of your stereo speakers,
you will have to either get a "Y" type of plug so the mono line from the Mac
is split into two mono lines for the input to your stereo, _or_ set your
stereo to mono output (if you have that capability).

Also, start with a low volume level on your Control Panel setting and a low
volume on your stereo, and gradually increase both until you get a decent
sound.  Too much input from too high a Control Panel volume setting could
result in distorted sound.

Finally, be sure to use the auxiliary, tuner or tape inputs when plugging in
the line from the Mac.  Don't use a phono input on the back of your stereo.

Good luck; you'll like what you hear!

Jim  --> USENET:  macak@lakesys.UUCP (Jim Macak)

(standard disclaimer, _plus_ don't blame me if you fry anything!  :-) )

hannon@clio.las.uiuc.edu (02/04/88)

glassner@unc.cs.unc.edu(Andrew Glassner) writes in comp.sys.mac

>I'd like to hear my Mac on my stereo, but the fellow at the computer
>shop said I should not simply use a cable with the appropriate plugs
>at the two ends (mono 1/8" to 1/4"), though he couldn't justify this
>claim.  He did make doom and thunder sounds should I be foolish enough
>to ignore his words (okay, too many spooky games!).
>
>Can I connect my Mac Plus to my stereo?  How?
	Contrary to what the saleman told you, you can, just by buying the
proper cord connect the Mac up to a stereo system.  Note, however, that the
Mac (expect for the ][) is MONORAL and you should only use mon cables and be
aware that yo will waste a channel on the stereo.. But if this does not bother
you, then enjoy!!

+                                   |                                      +
+  Leonard Rosenthol                |  USnail:   205 E. Healey  #33        +
+  LazerWare, inc.                  |            Champaign, Il  61820      +
+  GEnie: MACgician                 |                                      +
+  ARPA:  hannon@clio.las.uiuc.edu  |  Bitnet:   3FLOSDQ@UIUCNOSA.BITNET   +
+  {ihnp4|convex|pur-ee}!uiucuxc!clio!hannon                               +
+ Disclaimer #1: Since I own the company, I can say whatever I want, and   +
+                not be responsible for it!                                +
+                                                                          +
+ Disclaimer #2: Anything I say may be construed as being under the        +
+                jurisdiction of Disclaimer #1                             +

cgw@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gray Watson) (02/04/88)

I have connected my Mac to my stereo for about 3 years now with no bad
side-affects.  Just go to Radio Shack and ask for a:

	NAME                                             PART #    PRICE
	1/8" mini plug (walkman-type) to 2 RCA plugs.    42-2154   $1.99
	3' Patch Extension Cable: 2 RCAs to 2 RCAs.      42-2353   $2.99

Just plus the mini-plug into the mac and then the two RCA's from it to the
tape-in on your stereo (I think phono jack works too).  BE CAREFULL: Start
with the stereo volume down all the way and then turn it up to the setting you
want.  No use blowing your speakers out of the wall or your ears out the side
of your head with the start-up beep.

Try Megaroids on full volume!! It's a real experience!!!!

enjoy...

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric K. Olson) (02/04/88)

Many people have responded to this question to say "Just hook it up with
the appropriate cable."

It's my understanding that the Mac audio output is not a line-level signal
(the kind your amplifier wants on it's AUX input)-- it is a little too
"loud" to be considered line level.  That's why everyone says "Start with
the control panel volume way down" and "watch out for the boot beep (which
ignores the control panel setting)."

Radio Shack does have a more appropriate cable, called a mini-phono to
RCA _Attenuating_ cable.  If you use this cable, you can set the control
panel to any volume you like, and the boot-up beep will be bearable.

Most modern amplifiers can take a lot of abuse, so you can get away with
using a non-attenuating cable-- but don't complain if your amplifier fries
some day during a noisy (machine-gun) system crash.

-Eric

Eric K. Olson     olson@endor.harvard.edu     harvard!endor!olson     D0760
   (Name)                (ArpaNet)                 (UseNet)        (AppleLink)

naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) (02/05/88)

In article <1006@thorin.cs.unc.edu> glassner@unc.cs.unc.edu (Andrew S. Glassner) writes:
>I'd like to hear my Mac on my stereo, but the fellow at the computer
>shop said I should not simply use a cable with the appropriate plugs
>at the two ends (mono 1/8" to 1/4"), though he couldn't justify this
>claim.  He did make doom and thunder sounds should I be foolish enough
>to ignore his words (okay, too many spooky games!).

That's right.  The point is to use a high impedance input on your stereo only.
What can blow out the Mac is connecting it directly to an 8 ohm speaker -
there's just not enough resistance on the line and it overloads the Mac.
Hooking it to the AUX input of your stereo presents no problem.
--
Robert N. Berlinger					naftoli@aecom.yu.edu
Supervisor of Systems Support

lriggins@afit-ab.arpa (L. Maurice Riggins) (02/05/88)

In article <947@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>In article <1006@thorin.cs.unc.edu> glassner@unc.cs.unc.edu (Andrew S. Glassner) writes:
>>Can I connect my Mac Plus to my stereo?  How?
>
>Radio shack has the appropriate plug.  We connected ours up, but...
>none of the sounds we have are in stereo, so what exactly are you
>going to listen to?  (A clink-clank in stereo would be cute.)
>Until some stereo software comes out, you won't be able to take
>advantage of it.

I got the Radio Shack 1/8" mono to 1/8" stereo to plug in a pair of Sony
amplified speakers originally sold to plug into a Walkman.  They can be
switched between amplified and direct connect.  Either way, there's no
stereo image, of course, and with they spaced on either side of the SE,
it sounds like the sound is coming from the SE!  The real difference is
in the tone quality when amplified!  Much fuller bass and less tinniness.
Direct connect doesn't really sound much better, though. No problems with
either hardware.

--

Maurice                lriggins@afit-ab.ARPA

jbm308@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (02/05/88)

You'll want to get a connector which has a mono miniplug on one end and
stereo RCA plugs on the other.  I'm not sure how much resistance should
be put in the connector cable, but it should be plugged into an AUX or
CD port rather than a PHONO port.  You don't really need much resistance
if you plug it into a CD/AUX or TAPE port, but you have to remember to
turn your stereo volume low before switching to the computer, since the
sound output of the computer is quite high (high enough to connect
directly to a pair of speakers without an amplifier).

John Melby
student, University of Illinois
jbm308@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

geb@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Gordon E. Banks) (02/06/88)

>In article <947@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> geb@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu.UUCP (Gordon E. Banks) writes:
>>>Can I connect my Mac Plus to my stereo?  How?
>>
>>Radio shack has the appropriate plug.  We connected ours up, but...
>>none of the sounds we have are in stereo, so what exactly are you

Oops!  Sorry, I didn't notice you said Mac +.  The Mac II is stereo-capable,
but the software isn't stereo.  The best you can do with the plus is
mono through 2 speakers.

howard@cpocd2.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) (02/11/88)

I don't understand why any one wants to hook their Mac up to their stereo,
unless it's to record the noises.  Isn't it easier to have a dedicated speaker
for the Mac?  Virtually ANY decent speaker will GREATLY outperform the
Mac's built-in tiny one.  Reasonable speakers start as low as $10 or $20 NEW.
Used ones should be even cheaper.  For the extra bucks, you get to listen to
your Mac and your stereo at the same time!

Note that only 1 speaker is required for most Macs, since they are mono.

Volume is not a problem.  I'm using an Advent (Henry Kloss design) whose mate
died of ruptured woofer.  I keep the volume at 2 - anything more starts getting
painful.  It's MUCH louder than the Mac's own speaker on 2.  At the other
extreme, I don't have any fear that a Mac + could fry a speaker.  Somehow the
thought of it exceeding 100W RMS is a little laughable ...

Headphones should also be an option, but I haven't tried them.  They might want
an outboard (passive) volume control.

--
	Howard A. Landman
	{oliveb,hplabs}!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!howard

glassner@unc.cs.unc.edu (Andrew S. Glassner) (02/15/88)

Thanks to all who sent mail or posted a response.  The overwhelming
answer is "just connect the Mac output to the amplifier AUX input,
and make sure the amp volume is low when you start out." I went to
Radio Shack and wired up a cable - Crystal Quest sounds great!

   - -- ---- ------- ------------ -------------------- ---------------------
Andrew Glassner    UUCP:decvax!mcnc!unc!glassner    ARPA:glassner@cs.unc.edu

Dug_Bug@castle (Dug Bug) (02/16/88)

Was it any kind of special cable? or just any which will fit, like the
head phone type jack on a walkman<the trisectional type>?

--- ConfMail V3.31
 * Origin: 152 UFGATE: The Castle. Not to be echomailed from net 152. (1:152/201)
SEEN-BY: 152/200 201 203

--
Gatewayed from FidoNet to Usenet at: