[comp.sys.mac] Moire Weirdness

merchant@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Peter Merchant) (02/09/88)

I replaced Stars with Moire, because I like Moire better.  However, I am using
MultiFinder and I am experiencing some oddness.

If I leave my Macintosh sitting with just Finder running, Moire's movement of
the pattern is very jumpy.  (It moves, stops, moves, stops, moves, stops...)

If I leave my Macintosh sitting with Finder and anything else running, it's
okay.  For example, I've taken to keeping Alarm Clock running in the upper
right hand corner of the screen.  When Moire finally comes up, it runs
smoothly.

Is there a more recent version running around that fixes this?
--
"I'm in too deep..."                    Peter Merchant (merchant@eleazar.UUCP)

P.S. -- I got the latest copy of PC Week, complete with an interesting article
about Apple delivering it's version of Unix and something looked wrong to me.
Well, PC Week has, for years, labelled itself as "The National Newspaper of
IBM Standard Microcomputing", even though they had nice reviews of HyperCard,
dBase Mac, Fourth Dimension, and regularly feature articles on Apple.  Well,
this week they have just started labelling themselves as "The National
Newspaper of Corporate Microcomputing".  So no one can gripe when they run
articles on the Macintosh anymore...

sho@tybalt.caltech.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (02/11/88)

In article <8114@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> merchant@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Peter Merchant) writes:
>I replaced Stars with Moire, because I like Moire better.  However, I am using
>MultiFinder and I am experiencing some oddness.
>
>If I leave my Macintosh sitting with just Finder running, Moire's movement of
>the pattern is very jumpy.  (It moves, stops, moves, stops, moves, stops...)
>
>If I leave my Macintosh sitting with Finder and anything else running, it's
>okay.  For example, I've taken to keeping Alarm Clock running in the upper
>right hand corner of the screen.  When Moire finally comes up, it runs
>smoothly.
>
>Is there a more recent version running around that fixes this?

I think this is another case of "feature, not a bug," but I'm not sure.
Moire will slow down when my terminal emulator is downloading a file,
and presumably, it looks jerky under multi-finder because background jobs
are getting time.

						-Sho

SonicYouthREMBeatlesKateBushReplacementsResidentsHuskerDuSeveredHeadsArtOfNoise
ChrisAndCoseyJoyDivisionKillingJokeLaurieAndersonWireLouReedSkinnyPuppyBrianEno

 (sho@tybalt.caltech.edu, sho@caltech.bitnet, ...!cit-vax!tybalt!sho)

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (02/12/88)

In article <8114@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> merchant@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Peter Merchant) writes:
>I replaced Stars with Moire, because I like Moire better.  However, I am using
>MultiFinder and I am experiencing some oddness.
>
>If I leave my Macintosh sitting with just Finder running, Moire's movement of
>the pattern is very jumpy.  (It moves, stops, moves, stops, moves, stops...)
>
>If I leave my Macintosh sitting with Finder and anything else running, it's
>okay.  For example, I've taken to keeping Alarm Clock running in the upper
>right hand corner of the screen.  When Moire finally comes up, it runs
>smoothly.

I looked at this MultiFinder weirdness using Moire CDEV. Here's the story...

Booted up Mac SE/20 with MultiFinder, put cursor to top-right of screen to
get Moire going. It's animation was jumpy. So, I called up the Calculator
DA, DA Handler loaded into it's own layer. Tried Moire again, and the
animation was back to it's normal swiftness.

I thought it might have something to do with the Finder layer, so I switched
under MultiFinder back to the Finder layer (by clicking on the icon at the
right end of the menu bar). Called up Moire, and the animation was swift!

So! It seems Finder 6.0 is the culprit!

I closed the Calculator DA, closing the DA Handler layer. Called Moire. The
animation of Moire was jerky again!!!

What is Finder 6.0 doing? It looks like Finder 6.0 is hoarding the CPU.

Hey, Larry (Rosenstein), what gives?

---

Jason Haines, President

Club Mac Macintosh Users Group, Sydney, Australia
Phone Home: +61-2-73-4444
Snail:      Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
ACSnet:     clubmac@runx.ips.oz	   ARPA:   clubmac%runx.ips.oz@uunet.uu.net
UUCP:{enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,uunet,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.ips.oz!clubmac

jcc@ut-emx.UUCP (J. Chris Cooley) (02/16/88)

In article <1367@runx.ips.oz>,clubmac@runx.ips.oz(Macintosh Users Group)writes:

> I looked at this MultiFinder weirdness using Moire CDEV. Here's the story...
>
> [ story deleted ]
>
> Hey, Larry (Rosenstein), what gives?

You don't really need someone from Apple to give you the answer.  It's right
under your nose, actually.  In the DOCUMENTATION (which, I know, is Latin for
"Under no circumstances read this" :-), it states that Moire relies on a
patch to SystemTask (I think that's what it is... I'm barely over Z80...give
me a chance to learn toolbox...) to do its business, and under MultiFinder,

Check out that doc file.  I got all my information from it, and believe me,
it does a better job of explaining it than I can.

					The Moire the Merrier,
					--chris