[comp.sys.mac] Changing the Hard Disk Icon?

thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (02/11/88)

I have found the icons for the trash can, the "generic document", the folder,
 and just about everything else on the Mac, but cannot find the icon
 for the hard disk.

Where is it, and how can I change it?

- Mark Thompson
  thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (02/13/88)

In article <46700007@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>I have found the icons for the trash can, the "generic document", the folder,
> and just about everything else on the Mac, but cannot find the icon
> for the hard disk.
>
>Where is it, and how can I change it?

The icon is actually stored in the driver for the disk (so you can forget about
using ResEdit to change it -- although in theory it should be possible to
change).  So... I hope you like your disk icon.  :-)

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

jeremy@swatsun.uucp (Jeremy Brest) (02/15/88)

It is true that you cannot change the hard disk icon if you are using
the Apple hard disk and driver software, but other drivers (and their
installers) have them stored as ICN#'s, so you can change them if you
are willing to reinstall the driver.

Jeremy Brest
Swarthmore College
uucp:...seismo!bpa!swatsun!jeremy
CSnet:jeremy@swatsun.swarthmore.edu
ARPAnet:jeremy%swatsun.swarthmore.edu@relay.cs.net

ephraim@think.COM (ephraim vishniac) (02/17/88)

In article <322@esquire.UUCP> sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) writes:
>In article <46700007@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu> thompson@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>I have found the icons for the trash can, the "generic document", the folder,
>> and just about everything else on the Mac, but cannot find the icon
>> for the hard disk.
>>
>>Where is it, and how can I change it?
>
>The icon is actually stored in the driver for the disk (so you can forget about
>using ResEdit to change it -- although in theory it should be possible to
>change).  So... I hope you like your disk icon.  :-)

It's not *that* difficult!  The icon has the same format as an ICN#
resource, though it's not stored as a separate resource.  It's not too
hard to find using ResEdit, as it's immediately followed by the
"Where:" string for the drive.

To replace it, make a new ICN# using ResEdit.  Close that ICN#, then
option-open it again so that you're looking at the hex representation.
Paste that in place of the exact same number of bytes in the driver,
where you've located the old icon by looking for the "Where:" string.
Then, use your modified installer to re-install the driver on your
hard disk.

Since this is a moderately hazardous procedure (not difficult, just
dangerous), be sure to modify a *copy* of your installer, and run it
on a scratch hard disk :-).

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214